2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i just want to find out are there any disvantages of having the individual throttle bodies for our fn2 ctrs. i was told i should give between 40 to 50 bhp to the car and is that right? because im about to order one soon and why nobody has done this so far? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks
Kenny:p

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm from the top of my head, questions that need answering...
1. is there enough space in the engine bay
2. can your ECU handle a cable throttle conversion
3. are you willing to do a cable throttle conversion and lose a few creature comforts
4. do you have a tuner competent enough in setting up ITB map
1.Yes, there is enough space with the 33mm ITB
2. my Flashpro should do i think...:popcorn2:
3. well, for that power than yes i am...
4. i managed to empoly a professional tuner from Ford, and he has been tuning loads of JDM cars in the past few years. :police:

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have my doubts on what the flashpro can/can't do
but I don't own one to be able to test
but suppose that's all good,

personally 33mm seems small for K20 ITB (unless you're talking about trumpet length not TB diameter), I don't see how it can support the 40-50hp gains. Most ITB gain power in mid-range, not to mention the standard cylinder head becomes a restriction really quickly once you bolt up an ITB setup.

Another thing you should think about is, tuning for WOT is easy, but once you start expecting the same level of smoothness in day to day driving as stock with an ITB setup then you'll need a lot of hours refining your setup and calibration.

In short, most people dont do it cause it's a lot of work and a lot of money to get running, when a bolt-on supercharger kit can deliver better results for a lot less headaches. Where ITBs become feasible is usually in race cars where rules limit modifications and daily driving is not a concern. BUT if you are a pure NA junkie, then GO FOR IT! then let us know how it went :)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have my doubts on what the flashpro can/can't do
but I don't own one to be able to test
but suppose that's all good,

personally 33mm seems small for K20 ITB (unless you're talking about trumpet length not TB diameter), I don't see how it can support the 40-50hp gains. Most ITB gain power in mid-range, not to mention the standard cylinder head becomes a restriction really quickly once you bolt up an ITB setup.

Another thing you should think about is, tuning for WOT is easy, but once you start expecting the same level of smoothness in day to day driving as stock with an ITB setup then you'll need a lot of hours refining your setup and calibration.

In short, most people dont do it cause it's a lot of work and a lot of money to get running, when a bolt-on supercharger kit can deliver better results for a lot less headaches. Where ITBs become feasible is usually in race cars where rules limit modifications and daily driving is not a concern. BUT if you are a pure NA junkie, then GO FOR IT! then let us know how it went :)
33mm is the trumpet length.;)
you are right mate!! i should think about that now adn thanks for your advice!:p:p:p so, do you think Toda cams is the best way to improve power then if i wanna go down to NA way...

·
Registered
610 Posts
TDI north and south have done a few conversions. Same kit as on the EP3/DC5.
On a road car it's not that clever as it's very on-off. You won't see the power you have been quoted either without extensive other mods like intake manifold and exhaust.
Flashpro will handle it fine.

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
if i were you id rather have it supercharged for that amount!!!

i dont see it getting 40-50bhp like tpw said dude :)
I was looking at the supercharger yesterday, and Im a bit of a car noob, when it comes to bhp at wheels and fly..

But they say 291bhp with the supercharger, which equates to 240bph at the wheels... is that right :S for 3.5k is expect more at the wheels.

IIRC(correct me if wrong) you calculate a 12-15% transmission loss :S

Anyone help...

must admit though the EP3 i've seen the TB's looks and sounds sweet.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Good luck wit ITB :rolleyes:
Keep us informed

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
I was looking at the supercharger yesterday, and Im a bit of a car noob, when it comes to bhp at wheels and fly..

But they say 291bhp with the supercharger, which equates to 240bph at the wheels... is that right :S for 3.5k is expect more at the wheels.

IIRC(correct me if wrong) you calculate a 12-15% transmission loss :S

Anyone help...

must admit though the EP3 i've seen the TB's looks and sounds sweet.
very rollers are different..mines over 200bhp at the wheels...you could be right...could be more though

the thing is...you can calculate all that and say it isnt much but the torque effectively increases alot...thats where it really matters!! :)

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
very rollers are different..mines over 200bhp at the wheels...you could be right...could be more though

the thing is...you can calculate all that and say it isnt much but the torque effectively increases alot...thats where it really matters!! :)
Well i assumed that the standard CTR would be 200bhp at the fly giving a theoretical of 170 at the wheels... which is rather misleading IMO..

IIRC your running near 240bhp which taking a 15% transmission loss gives 204bhp, around what you said.

I think im calculating it right... I can see what your saying as well, in the war of power torque is where its at, but for that price it would have to be very hefty to be worth it.

Or do i spend the money on the mugen bits lol...;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe to get to the 291bhp it's a bit more as you need the exhaust manifold which is a further £750 which takes it over the £4k mark.
It's going to be the only mod i do next year but will be having the brakes upgraded with a lsd and uprated cams and valves.
Tbh would dream of a charger without a larger brake kit and the diff to help with traction.
I've Never drove a modded type r with that much power but the pull from 3800 instead of 5500 to 8500 must be a massive difference.
roll on next year:popcorn2:

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
I believe to get to the 291bhp it's a bit more as you need the exhaust manifold which is a further £750 which takes it over the £4k mark.
It's going to be the only mod i do next year but will be having the brakes upgraded with a lsd and uprated cams and valves.
Tbh would dream of a charger without a larger brake kit and the diff to help with traction.
I've Never drove a modded type r with that much power but the pull from 3800 instead of 5500 to 8500 must be a massive difference.
roll on next year:popcorn2:
chrisb i think cpl have factored in a manifold into their supercharger kit..

although HIT off the site seems to be doing well as he has spent far less than others on a SC kit..looks good too

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Well i got a few plans for mine (tasteful and subtle mods) and hopefully i'll start getting it to some shows next year. :) .....

fingers crossed anyway.

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
maybe you should come over here and see mine :)

lol but you are right..body parts- anything worth mentioning are hard to come by..mugen is the only one i know...there are few splitter options but thats it..

there was a bodykit i seen on the max power site a while ago...woo that was bad..lol..

·
everyday i get older
1,036 Posts
maybe you should come over here and see mine :)

lol but you are right..body parts- anything worth mentioning are hard to come by..mugen is the only one i know...there are few splitter options but thats it..

there was a bodykit i seen on the max power site a while ago...woo that was bad..lol..
i think i know the one your on about, can get it from Fleabay...

horrid... :S

if the money pixies allow(they too over as the fairies went bankrupt due to a big pension plan) then im hopefully gonna look at the rear bumper in the new year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts