2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you love your Type R don't read todays Times. There's a 16 page special in the InGear section by Jeremy Clarkson on the worst 25 cars he has ever driven. And guess what he's included the new R. His verdict is that it is less fun than walking!!!

Well as we are always saying he is entitled to his opinion and i am biased but........

Surprised no one has posted about this already after the reaction to his Top Gear comments!

·
Registered
64 Posts
before i bought the Type R i was thinking alot about it, and others. Remember watching THE top gear epi and after that, i bet loads were like OMG i dont want a type R i was like well there is my reason to own one :D

At the end of the day there is always a better car imo, but for what i got and what i paid and more than happy with mine. Its a defo head turner in the town, people like it, i love it.

Still what does he know he could only manage a 1.41 on laguna seca on the ps2, i could do that eyes closed and one handed!!

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Yeah I picked mine up 3 days after the Top Gear episode!!

The dealer said that people had cancelled their orders on the strength of Clarksons review!?

Mindless Drones?!?!?!

·
Honda aficionado
814 Posts
If you love your Type R don't read todays Times. There's a 16 page special in the InGear section by Jeremy Clarkson on the worst 25 cars he has ever driven. And guess what he's included the new R. His verdict is that it is less fun than walking!!!

Well as we are always saying he is entitled to his opinion and i am biased but........

Surprised no one has posted about this already after the reaction to his Top Gear comments!
Please see my posting earlier today under ITMA, non Civic chat. I debated whether to show my latest posting in this forum but it follows on from last weeks Sunday Times In Gear section which is under the former forum. Sorry to confuse.....

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
After reading that article, I have came to the conclusion that he must have been driving a different car from what I do!!

The only thing I can semi agree with is the Spoiler!!

Even then, its great when you get used to it, and it blanks out the lights behind fantastically!

Exactly what it was designed to do!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the problem is that Clarkson is more of an entertainer than a serious car journalist; he review the Type-R quite early in the Times (months before Top Gear review), and probably didn't want to go back on what he'd said before (you'll NEVER see Clarkson admit that he is wrong). End result; poor review by Clarkson on Top Gear, yet Top Gear magazine basically said "Jeremy was wrong" when voting the CTR as the best hatchback in 2007!

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I think the problem is that Clarkson is more of an entertainer than a serious car journalist; he review the Type-R quite early in the Times (months before Top Gear review), and probably didn't want to go back on what he'd said before (you'll NEVER see Clarkson admit that he is wrong). End result; poor review by Clarkson on Top Gear, yet Top Gear magazine basically said "Jeremy was wrong" when voting the CTR as the best hatchback in 2007!
Clarkson can say what he wants the trouble is that there are many people out there that take him seriously, that is what I find most worrying. What ever happened to common sense in this sad world and the ability of people to think for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think a guy/girl who wants to buy a type r is normally well informed about the car and the competition.when i bought mine, i already knew jeremys opinion. however the test drive i made and reading many other sports car magazines cleared my mind about the many positive things about this great car.if others are influenced only with j.c. opinion, maybe they dont deserve to own one a type r.:)

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
i think a guy/girl who wants to buy a type r is normally well informed about the car and the competition.when i bought mine, i already knew jeremys opinion. however the test drive i made and reading many other sports car magazines cleared my mind about the many positive things about this great car.if others are influenced only with j.c. opinion, maybe they dont deserve to own one a type r.:)
Never a truer word has been spoken!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson

Let's face it Mr Clarkson will only "big-up" the manufacturers who he wants to get a free car off or deny someone of a limited edition car like the Ford GT! It may be a fast car but it does GPM rather than MPG and you need a garage the size of Bristol to park it in which is fine if you earn the wages of a TV presenter!!!!!!!!!!

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Let's face it Mr Clarkson will only "big-up" the manufacturers who he wants to get a free car off or deny someone of a limited edition car like the Ford GT! It may be a fast car but it does GPM rather than MPG and you need a garage the size of Bristol to park it in which is fine if you earn the wages of a TV presenter!!!!!!!!!!
and he did make the FORD mondeo "car of the year" on top gear....

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Type R in Millano Red best car i have ever had bar non and ive had a few. Kiss my hairy one Clarkson. :D

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeremy Clarkson is perfectly entitled to his views -mostly i agree with him!
My problem is that he has such a large audience that his review of the 'R' is the only one most people will see. As a result everyone that knows i have an 'R' will give me a hard time on the basis of this single article.
I spent so much time defending my car after the Top Gear feature - don't want to have to do it all again :rolleyes:

Lets face it if any other motoring journalist had rubbished it the way he has it would hardly be noticed especially as all the other reviews are so good.

Oh well flak jacket on for when i get to work tomorrow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson is perfectly entitled to his views -mostly i agree with him!
My problem is that he has such a large audience that his review of the 'R' is the only one most people will see. As a result everyone that knows i have an 'R' will give me a hard time on the basis of this single article.
I spent so much time defending my car after the Top Gear feature - don't want to have to do it all again :rolleyes:

Lets face it if any other motoring journalist had rubbished it the way he has it would hardly be noticed especially as all the other reviews are so good.

Oh well flak jacket on for when i get to work tomorrow :rolleyes:
Exactly, anyone with just a passing interest in cars won't have read any other reviews or even driven one and will take his word as gospel. Makes me so annoyed!!! :mad:

Obviously it is all ridiculous - one of the 25 worst cars he has EVER driven, really? I mean, am I missing something? He must have driven around, what, 5000 different cars - I find it hard to believe that this could be one of the worst! Anyway, likewise I now have to 'explain' to all my friends and probably my folks too (as Times readers) as to why I have bought an apparently 'rubbish car'. :(

I wonder, Clarkson's first review of the new Type R... was it a production model or one of the very early cars? I read somewhere that the early ones tested by journalists had an absoultely rock hard unforgiving suspension set up which was sorted out by the time of offical release...

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Clarkson writes for entertainment rather than enlightenment and most people seem to agree that he usually succeeds in that.

Since he admits that he lacks the engineering skills to opine in depth on the mechanical aspects of car design, he concentrates on driver 'feel'.

When he says that the Civic suspension feels like it was built with bricks, we surely know what he means. Don't we? Even if we don't agree?

And when he cites the rear visibilility as dreadful, can we really be surprised? To many people it is...even though they learn to live with it quite happily.

In other words, allowing for the Clarksonisms, I believe that in these two case at least, he's fairly accurately reflecting reality.

Nevertheless, to rank the Civic as one of the twenty-five worst ever is just silly, and probably reflects his disappointment because he,genuinely, along with the rest of the motoring press, was expecting so much more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts