2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tom Tom 510 which I use for work and I would like to purchase the TMC Traffic Receiver. (It gives you advanced traffic warnings on route)

http://tinyurl.com/3yzjgy

Does anyone have any experience of this item and do they really think that it's worth the purchase.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have been using a TomTom 910 with the Traffic module but have found it to be very hit and miss. It depends very much on where in the country you are.

To be honest I wouldn't advise getting one at the moment, apparently TomTom are going to produce another unit and there is a chance that existing owners can get theirs upgraded.

I have subscribed to their Traffic service and find that to be far more useful.
Have a read of the comments on the following link and it might help you make a more informed decision.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48317

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have been using a TomTom 910 with the Traffic module but have found it to be very hit and miss. It depends very much on where in the country you are.

To be honest I wouldn't advise getting one at the moment, apparently TomTom are going to produce another unit and there is a chance that existing owners can get theirs upgraded.

Have a read of the comments on the following link and it might help you make a more informed decision.

Hope this helps.
It actually appears to be the TMC service that is the problem. Users of every manufacturers TMC recievers are moaning about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hope this helps.
Thanks David, thats a great help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It also depends on where you drive. TMC works off sensors on main routes and motorways, so if you mainly drive in the country then you will not get any information relayed to the TMC, however if you use motorways and A roads it might save you some time and identify potential hold ups.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I used to have the traffic on my Tom Tom 5 on PDA, you could guarantee nearly every other Friday it told me there was a 27 mile queue from Jct 11 of the M40 to Milton Keynes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had it built in to a previous car, along with the sat nav. It sounds like a great idea but isn't always that good in practice.

I was on my way to the centre of Bristol and it asked if I wanted to avoid the traffic. I said 'yes' and it took me on a long detour through the suburbs and made me nearly 2 hours late by the time I got into the centre and worked my way through the same traffic jams from the other side!

·
Administrator
21,168 Posts
Why they discontinued the Freeway units confuses me.

I've still got mine up and running and in the main it seems more accurate than the TMC.

Quite often the Freeview will 'tell' me that the hold up starts at J15 on the M25 whilst the TMC traffic icon is at J14.
95% of the time the Freeway is right and the TMC is wrong.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it looks like I shan't be bothering to get one. I thought that it would be a worthwhile addition to the Tom Tom. If it was 95% accurate about motorway problems I'd get one.

It would be good if I could borrow one for a few weeks to try it out.

·
Administrator
21,168 Posts
In theory the TMC is a good idea. You can even display traffic jams hundreds of miles away if you decide to.

For some strange reason though, in my experience, the data relayed to your car via the roadside beacons seems more accurate than the system they relay the TMC info.

TMC is better than nothing if only it was slightly more accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts