2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a Civic on order and have also got a Tomtom 510 on its way was wondering if anyone has pics of their SatNavs and any recommendations on where the best place to mount it is...

Cheers,

·
Type R Hero
69 Posts
Hi

I picky my Type R up on wednesday and the first thing I will be doing is mounting my TomTom 520, I have an idea how to mount so there are no wire showing, if I am successful I will post a thread on it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Hi all,

Have a Civic on order and have also got a Tomtom 510 on its way was wondering if anyone has pics of their SatNavs and any recommendations on where the best place to mount it is...

Cheers,
510 !

They've just released the 530 to superceed the 520 which superceeded the 510 - hope you got a good deal ?

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Given the number of SatNav systems now in use and the optimum location for them, I wonder when the manufacturers are going to put a power socket on the top of the dash to alleviate the trailing wires ?

Krem design inc :

Power socket on top of dash with secondary socket linked to car aerial for the TMC-RDS that comes with a lot of them now.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Quick question Shademaster, is that mount standard or did you buy it separately?
I bought the vent mount from e-bay,
Check out the link below
Alternative Vent/Dash Mount Kit Tom Tom GO 520/720/920)

I did try fixing the tom-tom to the windscreen and then dash,
But i found it was dangerous to try and use when driving (I am of coarse talking about the inbuilt blue tooth phone system not the sat nav function)

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
The only thing I have against vent mounts is that in the Summer are you not blasting the back of the unit with icy air ?

If the operating temp of the unit is say 10°C+ (which they often are) then I wonder if it's going to cause any problems ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there i had the honda compact satnav fitted (foc) as part of my compensation for 3rd gear fault, must say though that it is not as good as the tomtom 510 that i have for work. It mounts on the dash and is powerd from the fixing kit, at £480 fitted i would not have paid for it myself.

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
The problem with the 510 is the size of it, and the fact that it uses the windscreen mount for power input and for the excellent external microphone.

I use the Tomtom remote control velcro'd in the cup holder and mount my unit in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I then run the microphone (and the dubious effecivness TMC aerial) up the right hand screen pillar and clip the microphone to the sun visor.

My dealer mounted me an extra ciggy socket by the fuse box when I picked up my car.

·
2,092 Posts
Do you have any pics Alanwalne sounds like a good way to have it...

I took them on my phone this lunchtime, I'll compress them later....

Mine is a 710, so apart from the maps identical.

·
2,092 Posts
Piccys as promised

Car in the background too easy for 'Guess the Car' thread

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
hmm, Shademaster how long have you been using your Tomtom over the vents any operating issues?
I got the vent kit in January, never had any problems so far;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts