2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for the rather long rant.

Since day 1 my NHB Type S GT, has had a rattle and buzz.
The ratttle was the dash speedo, fixed this by wedging some PVC packing tape/foam between the plastic. But the buzzing eluded me.
For the last 4months I have been able to ignore it, or mask it with the air con and radio.
But this Christmas I found myself with too much spare time, and decided enought was enough!

The buzzing was exremely difficult to track down, as the noise seemed to travel, from arm rest area, to glove compartment, even from the air vent holes.
The buzzing only starts at 45-80mph, making it even hard to locate.
Having removed everything (CD's/air fresherners/phone charger etc) from the car, finally tracked it down to the arm rest area.

I removed the entire arm rest unit, and I was horrified to find the noise got louder.
Under the arm rest is a metal plate, and I removed that too, and the noise got really loud (like holding a piece of paper on a fan blade, or crunching a coke can)
There is some kind of pump under there (anyone know what it does? fuel injector?).
Dare not touch it, but i did pack it with cotton wool and Computer silencing foam sheets. (the underside of the arm rest already has some Honda silencing material).
Was really careful about how much wool i used, as i didnt want it catching fire from the cigerette lighter.
Sorry got no pics, wasn't in a picture taking mood after 15 test runs down the motorway :(

The noise has been dampened, but remains, admitting defeat on this one, taking the car to dealers today (after I remove all my cotton wool/foam, dont want them using that as a excuse against me)

Wish me luck, will keep you all updated.
I only hope its something loose and not mechanical, like a die-ing gear box!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
The fuel tank and fuel pump are under the front seats. If it is something to do with the fuel system I would leave it to the dealer to fix.

Do you recognise the source of the noise from these diagrams ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not something from the first diagram, but it looks like the second diagram is right, though i cant zoom in enogh to see it.
There was defintely a petrol smell when i first opened the metal plate. Though i can see no leakages and the smell hasn't returned now. Just the very first time i openned it i got wift of petrol fumes.

Took the car to dealers, they told me to call back in a few hrs as they are short staffed during festive period. So frustrating....

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to dealers today, twice. They did take a look at the car, and said they gave everything a good 'tighten up and lubrication', not convinced as the noise remains.
Unfortunatly they are short staffed until after new years, and refused to come with a drive in the car with me.
Have rebooked a full day visit with the dealers after the new years, taking up yet another day from my working week, grrrrrr.

Started to develope a hyper sensitivity to the noise now, and even with the radio on, im conciously and actively listening out for it.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I'm still waiting for a "fix" to the creaking noise from teh rear suspension. The car has been back many times and gets lubricated which helps for a while, but then it comes back. Then the game is how far can I drive before the creaking stops!
It is now "down the road, round the corner and to the pub"!
Intermittant noises are such a pain, quite why Honda put so many in my car is beyond me!
Only another 9 months of warranty for them to sort it out.

Terry
Terry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
I also have hypersensitivity for all kinds of rattles and weird noises, so you are not the only one who is being driven mad by the Civic :eek:
Anyhow, I had the same sort of a problem - some strange metallic rattling noise coming from the armrest/gearlever area. I couldn't locate it at first - but I realized that since it is speed related (mine started around 80km/h), it bound to have something to do with the airflow. I checked under my car and found that one of the heat metal deflectors around the exhaust could wiggle about and scratch against the body of the car. I tightened all the bolts and used pliers to slightly bend the delfector so it wouldn't touch the body any more - and the problem was solved. That was a happy day - since I'd been going mad locating the pain.
So try to check under the car - the problem doesnt neccessarily have to be inside it.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont suppose you have any pictures?
I bet its the same thing, cos it sounds very metallic and hollow and tinny the noise, and the dealers said it was probably wind.

Gonna have a look around under the car tonight.

Thanks in advance, if you are right I owe you drink, but estonia is a little hard for me to meetup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but it won't be hard to find the noise once you're underneath the car. Just check for any loose parts and pieces that could wiggle about with wind or vibrations from the road. Getting underneath the car is the hardest part probably - you just have to find a place where you can lift it up.
It is recommended you wear gloves, as there are some hot parts.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally after 2hrs at the dealers today, in the freezing cold, we got to the bottom of it. You was right rasmus, it was the exhaust heat shield. It was the one under the driver seat area, no way i could have got to it without a ramp. One quick twist of a few mm's and it was silenced.

My car is soo quite now, it feels like brand new.

Though the dealers did take apart my entire dash board, before they decided the noise was not inside the car. Hope its not introduced any new rattles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts