2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my CTR last year with the rages already fitted as I love the look of them and would not have bought a CTR without them.

A few months ago I bought the standard 18" wheels to do a few track days and for the winter so the other day I thought I would take off my rages and give them a good clean due to all the bad weather:mad: and put on the standard wheels on for a few days.

OH MY GOD!! The ride is so much better on the standard wheels It's like night and day. No more banging and crashing over the smallest of pot holes also the car handles so much better.

I love my CTR even more now!! It does not look as good as it did with the rages on it but what the hell. The rages are going to get very dusty sitting in my garage:D

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
They probably feel better because they have more side wall, handling wise I wouldn't say they were better than the 19s more solid ride with a smaller side wall. I've got some ep3 17s that I use for winter and that is such a better quality ride, depends what you prefer

·
Registered
307 Posts
...i actually prefer the look of the 18's compared to the rages...thats just my opinion but you could sell the rages as people will snap them up.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Take a look on eBay and on the forsake thread on here and see what the going rate is, it really fluctuates for some reason

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I wasn’t going to buy an FN2 as the first one I took for a test drive had Rages on and felt like it had shattered my spine. The sales man convinced me to come back in and try one on 18's. Glad he did now.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
The 18s do give a nicer ride and slightly more grip but you have to be naughty to find the difference as the 19s with good rubber provide enough grip for me, but the rages suit the car better IMO

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I thought that the standard alloys had a bumpy ride, the 19" Rages must be hell!
I knew no different when I bought it. I thought the ride was the same in all CTR's but I was so wrong. The rages are very harsh and back braking compared to the 18"

I will not be going back to the rages:( but I still love the look of them.

·
regrets his username
7,979 Posts
The Fn2 was designed to have the 18" alloys with ride and handling in mind, the 19" were just an upgrade for the looks. Look at the mugen 20 they have the 18" on, and im pretty sure mugen know what their doing.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
In my opinion I do LOVE the look of Rages but in terms of handling and performance the 18's are better. Rages are too bumpy not to mention a tad bit more expensive, have to watch every pot hole you go over and scratch easily. Still I admire Rages but would not get them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Fn2 was designed to have the 18" alloys with ride and handling in mind, the 19" were just an upgrade for the looks. Look at the mugen 20 they have the 18" on, and im pretty sure mugen know what their doing.
+1 as goes with time attack teams I think

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Yup, I found the same thing. Rages are just good for looks. The 18's are definitely the best size for the FN2.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you decide to sell them I will give you a decent price ;)
The problem I have is the standard set of 18" I bought has lots of scuffs and not the best tyres on them but for my everyday wheel they must be mint, so if I was to part with my near mint rages I would want a mint set of 18" with good tyres and some cash my way;)

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
The problem I have is the standard set of 18" I bought has lots of scuffs and not the best tyres on them but for my everyday wheel they must be mint, so if I was to part with my near mint rages I would want a mint set of 18" with good tyres and some cash my way;)
For £200 or so you could get them refurbed and powder coated I had my old 18s done and they looked like new

·
regrets his username
7,979 Posts
As said above go to an alloy wheel refurb shop stick your rages back on the car and drop your 18" off to get redone. Ive just been quoted £65 a wheel (+ paint if i want them champ white again) considering its around £600 for a new set its the best way to go, also when you get there they will offer you ideas for best colours to suit your car which will get you thinking. And if your rages are in good nick you will get a good price for them as they get snapped up leaving money for a few mods ;).

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
Well I have Rages on mine and love them, I see what some of you mean but cause I'm used to them the 18" look to small. Think I'm going to get my Rages powder coated white. As for the scratches I don't have any from curbing. Think the Rages look mean and I can handle the so call spine shattering I've driven worse in that sense so doesn't bother me. I wouldn't say its that bad besides at least it'll wake you up on long journeys if you start drifting. ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts