2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally did it,

Pick my NHB GT up on the 5th Jan!!! Looks like my Christmas is gunna be a little later that usual!!

Simply cannot wait!

Got 125 miles of motorway on the way home tho, recommend keeping it to as many A-Roads as poss?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you go down the import route Trev? Yes best to try a mixture of driving and not just motorways. I assume as you're asking you've read the "running in" procedure in the Wiki. :)
Yes mate i read that the other day cheers! :)

I did go down the import route, from my perspective there wasnt really any major cons to it.
Because its classed as a european car it isnt really thought of as an import, the insurance is no different, has a 3 year warranty, servicing costs are the same as any other CTR, as its identical to any other UK CTR (its UK spec).

As for the reduced residuals when selling it eventually, well, ill worry about that at the time

and also i could of had it before christmas only that i had to sell my current car and i am working. i suppose a 20 day wait isnt too bad...... Its long enough tho!!!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Its a brilliant car , and you will have one of the first with 2008 on your log book.

I followed the running in method recommended in the wiki as well, and my car seems to be benefiting. It hasnt used any oil in 4000 miles and the engine seems fine. It is also far more fun than tootling round for 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
So after how many miles can i really open the taps? and how many revs shall i keep it below, no full throttle for the first 1000 would you say?

See the running in section of the Wiki.
200 miles running in at least.

I kept my 1.8 below 4k.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So after how many miles can i really open the taps? and how many revs shall i keep it below, no full throttle for the first 1000 would you say?
I would suggest to built it up little by little. Just drive as normal as you can, not like your grand mother!
But avoid the extremely low revs (motor has to work hard) or the very high revs.

so built it up. If you just drive 1000 miles without many differences in roads or speeds or driving style then this 1000 miles is not enough. So how many miles you have to drive isn't a reliable indication.
With "building up" I mean that after a while ( you will notice that the engine comes loose) you can carefully go a bit futher and futher in revs. Take the time. Play with it. The engine itself needs to 'discover its own ranges'.
If you don't, the engine will become an oil user and less lean.

·
Banned
165 Posts
i've been running mine in. I have done approx 350 miles since I got my car last week. Today I noticed the engine was making more a grunt between 2k and 4k revs. So definately noticing a difference. I am tempted to go past 4K - but I will only do this when I have hit 1k miles. So far the driving has been A roads, back roads and a bit of motorway driving - the MPG has improved as well.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've been running mine in. I have done approx 350 miles since I got my car last week. Today I noticed the engine was making more a grunt between 2k and 4k revs. So definately noticing a difference. I am tempted to go past 4K - but I will only do this when I have hit 1k miles. So far the driving has been A roads, back roads and a bit of motorway driving - the MPG has improved as well.
Ahh rite so your not taking it past 4k revs until you've 1k miles?
Thats what im unsure about, ive never owned a car from new before, i kno the wiki article basically says to use the engine normally without excessive revs,

so roughly how many revs shall i keep it below?

Maybe it will just come naturally from the moment i get in and i will feel how tight the engine is, just want to be prepared incase it doesnt come naturally.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
cheers, gives me sum clarity, im sure it will just come naturally, must sound like a right dimwit!
No, mate, not at all there are so many trains of thought on this subject, it's hard to make an informed decision. The main thing is though, not to rev it too hard until it's properly warm. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts