2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a question that’s right up your street @Das

I ordered some suspension parts from AD for my 1.8 and they finally came today.

At the time I tried but couldn’t find the Borg and Beck top mounts you recommended so seeing as I’ll be fitting Monroe front shocks I thought I’d get the Monroe top mount. I then bought the SKG bearings you recommended.

So it appears that the Monroe top mount comes with a bearing, which I thought fine - I can then flog the SKF ones I don’t need. But if you look at my pictures the Monroe bearing doesn’t come with any slots or stops for the spring, like the SKF one so is this a problem?

I tried fitting the SKF bearing to the Monroe top mount but it doesn’t look right.

I’ve got plenty of time to get this sorted, so if it means flogging the Monroe top mount/bearing I can then hold out for the Borg and Beck top mount.

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
The genuine ones from cox are only £40
By the time you've faffed about with this lot would have been a better bet, no?

·
i-Vtec
4,101 Posts
Yea that top mount and the middle bearing is the wrong one, I made the same mistake first time around. IIRC its the version for the saloon.

·
i-Vtec
4,101 Posts
The genuine ones from cox are only £40
By the time you've faffed about with this lot would have been a better bet, no?
A Pair of Borg and Beck ones are only £40. Same with the bearing, Honda £46 each, SKF £36 a pair.

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
So how much has Bayzoo spent to find he's got the wrong ones?

·
i-Vtec
4,101 Posts
He'll get a refund from AD for them, they list these ones for the FN/FK. I had exactly the same issue with them, they are for the FD.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all

I’ve sent a refund request to AD. You’re right @Wilmo, it can end up costing you more (in either time and/or money) trying to go cheap; sometimes it pays off and other times not.

The Borg and Beck mounts fitted perfectly on my 2.2 so I’ll either hold out for these or look elsewhere but in the UK. Last resort is Honda.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just googled for the Borg and Beck there now and Arnold Clark sell them - had no idea they did car parts.

@Das would you mind double checking these are the same ones? It’s matches the number you gave me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks - they just have one in stock so no go. Will hold of to see if more come available

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
At least we now know there is a reliable source in the UK, well done for persevering.

why did you go for Monroe shocks instead of Sachs, was it price?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry @Wilmo I didn’t see your question earlier; I didn’t choose them, car went in for its MOT in Dec and it failed on the OSF shock so they replaced it but didn’t ask me in advance (which was annoying), and I couldn’t be bothered to argue.

So to keep things all the same I have stuck with Monroe - I think I paid £56 exc. VAT at the garage, elsewhere they’re pretty expensive, even at AD. The garage offered to buy me in the NSF shock for me to fit myself but I’ve not done that yet; think they get their parts from Dingbro, who only sell to trade customers I believe.

Reactions: Wilmo

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
AC aren't the only ones selling them:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Das who did you send your top mounts back to Germany with? Royal Mail only allow up to max 2kg so it’s 20 quid for 2 parcels. The others are coming up at silly prices and I’d be cheaper just selling them myself. It could be brexit of course...

·
i-Vtec
4,101 Posts
I contacted AD exchanged emails told them their page said it would fit my car which it doesn't, eventually they sent me a postage label, I dropped it off at the post office.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
As it’s their fault for supplying the wrong part, they need to pay for the return postage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I’ve gone back to them - the website is no longer showing that particular item as eligible for my car, but there are others still there that don’t look eligible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts