2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at doing a few things on the car whereby I will need to torque some bolts. I have a £20 torque wrench which has the range I need for tightening the subframe bolts and engine mounts. Trouble is I see there are a lot of branded wrenches that command prices in the 100s of pounds. Why the big difference in prices? If a wrench is set to 76ft/lb then surely a £20 should manage the same as a £200 one? I know some will say about quality and calibration, but is it worth me spending out or should my £20 one suffice?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
If your torque wrench capacity falls within your requirements then theoretically your fine.

Is the tool fit for purpose of course is totally another question. Calibration of the tool really would only confirm that. You could compare another wrench against yours but the question how to determine the accuracy of that tool arises.

This is a bit 'Heath Robinson' but you could set up a test whereby you placed, say a 12mm nut and bolt through a hole drilled in a steel plate held securely in a vice. Tighten the nut with the torque wrench to a specified setting. After that place a 19mm socket and 1/2'' power bar on the nut placed in a horizontal position, slide a pipe over the power bar , measure a metre along the pipe and place a weight equivelent to the torque wrench setting (9.9 newtons = 1kg). Hopefully the set up should tighten the nut or not, depending on accuracy of the wrench.

Perhaps a better way would be find a wrench comparisons on google for price and accuracy and buy the one found most reliable at the price within your budget.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I splashed out a bit last year and bought a digital torque wrench and now couldn't go back, you set your torque then it gives audible warnings until you reach the right amount, it also does cumulative angular torque so you don't need to reach your angular torque all in one go.
none of this is really necessary as a basic torque wrench and angular gauge can do the same jobs, but it doesn't half make life easier

1 - 3 of 3 Posts