2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Im experiencing my 2014 Tourer isnt too stable when driving in a straight line. Like i have to steer a little bit all the time to keep it running straight.

Its always been like that since i got it from the dealer. I asked them to check the wheel alignment under warranty, and they did, and found "it was a little bit off spec."

They adjusted the toe angle, and that improved the stability a bit. Still i dont find it satisfactory. My old 8th. gen was much more stable, and drivng my missus' 2015 Mazda 3 doesnt make it any better.:(

Im a mechanic myself, and today i decided to check if the dealers alignment was correct...
The front toe was a little off, like +0.07'. Spec says 0.00' AFAIC.
I was thinkin that having a slight toe-in would improve stabilty.

Driving home after a small adjustment, it felt the same, or maybe an itty bitty bit better.

What other options do i have now to make it more stable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It could also be caster on the front. On one of my Preludes I had a front caster issue where it made the car pull slightly to the side. I woudlnt say that it made the car fell unstable though, just that it pulled.

Do Civic's have any adjustment of the radius rod? Or the ability to add/remove shims?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesnt pull to either side. Steering wheel sits perfectly straight, it just doesnt drive in a straight line, so i have to compensate a little all the time.
The rear toe was a bit off, but theres no adjustment possible.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
It doesnt pull to either side. Steering wheel sits perfectly straight, it just doesnt drive in a straight line, so i have to compensate a little all the time.
I wondered if you'd had a knock, which'd biff'd your rear toe.

Do you have even tyre wear?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying that all that is wrong with the car is that the steering wheel is not 100% straight? Surely that is just a case of adjusting the track rod ends to align the steering wheel?

No rear toe adjustment? I'd be very surprised if that is the case. Or are you says that there is no more room for adjustment as it is on the limit of the adjuster?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tyre pressure is OK
Alignment is OK, except for a little toe in on right rear wheel. Which is not adjustable, as the rear suspension beam bolts directly to the car floor, instead of to a console that could be moved a bit.
The steering wheel sits straight, it drives straight with no hands on the steering wheel.
I just have to move the steering wheel a little all the time to keep it on a straight line.
Feels a bit sensitive to cross winds, or what you call it, coming from the sides. ;)

Think im'a take it to another dealer to see if they could come up with something else.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
the fn3 has none adjustable front camber, if like them they are specified to run 0* front camber it may well be that.

i had some camber bolts fitted, and even for normal road use (i do 99% motorway miles) its better with 0.20* of front camber (thats a 3rd of a degree in old money) much more stable.

honda don't fit these as it means that when its bolted together at the factory they don't need to spend money aligning something else, however, its necessary in my opinion...

Reactions: Farqui

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the fn3 has none adjustable front camber, if like them they are specified to run 0* front camber it may well be that.

i had some camber bolts fitted, and even for normal road use (i do 99% motorway miles) its better with 0.20* of front camber (thats a 3rd of a degree in old money) much more stable.

honda don't fit these as it means that when its bolted together at the factory they don't need to spend money aligning something else, however, its necessary in my opinion...
0.20' as in negative camber i assume?

It feels like steering rack is too tight. Maybe there is some pre tension adjustment, as in some of the earlier models?

Where did you buy those camber bolts?

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are right there is no rear toe adjustment (bizarrely). There was a thread on here that was talking about shims you can get that allow you to adjust rear toe.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Did you get anywhere with this? I was following my father in laws tourer today and noticed it was crabbing slightly so have mentioned it to him and he is intending dropping it back to the dealer for a check

1 - 15 of 15 Posts