2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a popular subject (will not mention caravans)
Has anyone got a tow bar fitted and if so what is it like as a tow car? (Diesel)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Should be good. diesel engine in the CR-V can tow a twin axle caravan with moderate ease.

Towing weight is 1500 kilos on the civic, which is the same as the CR-V.

Hope you aren't a weekend Gypsie though

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Martin said:
Should be good. diesel engine in the CR-V can tow a twin axle caravan with moderate ease.

Towing weight is 1500 kilos on the civic, which is the same as the CR-V.

Hope you aren't a weekend Gypsie though
Of course not.
How does a twin axle Rice horse box sound or a Batesons twin axle tipper trailer.

All the figures add up but has anyone actually towed anything yet?

The CRV is excellent in diesel form.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Whats a rice horse, and are they so big that you need a box for them????

It should be good, on the torque figures alone

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Martin said:
Whats a rice horse, and are they so big that you need a box for them????

It should be good, on the torque figures alone
Since 1932 Rice Trailers has been regarded as the natural choice for prestige, hand-built horse trailers.

Are you not a local horse show person then?
Rice Krispies also come in a box?
Does Annika Rice have one?

4 faults at the third triple jump for Southern Male out of PollyAnna etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wouldn't know the sharp end of a horse from the blunt one.
Would know the right end of Anika Rice from the wrong one, but that would take an awful lot of beer.
And now you have made me crave rice krispies.

Its Ifor Williams trailers this side of the border, any way.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I don't think anybody has tried it yet; not here at least, anyway. I think it will be you telling us how it copes!

I would imagine the car would be quite capable, the oil buner you have under the bonet is quite a torquey thing, which should make it quite easy. The brakes are good on the car, too, so should cope well.

I want to get a small trailer (<750kg due to new style licence :( ) which I know the 1.8 will cope fine with. It's the clutch I may start to worry about...

Am I right in thinking the tow bars are removable? I wouldn't want it poking out the back of the car when it's not needed!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I should imagine that a horse box, loaded at least is going to be a bit much for a Civic, as I had some people in a few weeks ago, and the CR-V (same tow weight etc) would have struggled with their two horses. That is the only light I can shed on it I'm afraid.

The genuine Honda bars are removable aswell, Bungle.

It Ifor aswell, not like the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got the Bosal tow bar on mine, and have towed my track car on a trailer, it tows really well, and still managed 38mpg!!!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
trip to france

just back from france round trip of 1000 miles plenty of power when towing, fuel drops to about 22 mpg on autoroutes 32 mpg on normal roads.
Not a bad car for towing but not the best as it is very light. Had to have the towbar with the removable hitch due to the parking sensors (seems to work loose and rattle)
We had a motorhome and that was not a good drive all rattles and never able to get warm couldn't hear the radio for the background noise.
Can't listen to the radio in the civic for other reasons posted elsewhere

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: trip to france

geoff said:
just back from france round trip of 1000 miles plenty of power when towing, fuel drops to about 22 mpg on autoroutes 32 mpg on normal roads.
Not a bad car for towing but not the best as it is very light. Had to have the towbar with the removable hitch due to the parking sensors (seems to work loose and rattle)
We had a motorhome and that was not a good drive all rattles and never able to get warm couldn't hear the radio for the background noise.
Can't listen to the radio in the civic for other reasons posted elsewhere
What sort of weight were you towing and is it you with clutch trouble? Is there a connection?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
clutch judder

the clutch was juddering before i had the tow bar fitted. The caravan weight is about 1200kg honda told me the design towing weight is 1500kg
It is a 2 berth lightweight caravan and we were very careful about not overloading and placing the the weight in the right area's

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
the clutch was juddering before i had the tow bar fitted. The caravan weight is about 1200kg honda told me the design towing weight is 1500kg
It is a 2 berth lightweight caravan and we were very careful about not overloading and placing the the weight in the right area's
Geoff, i take it you have a diesel engine in it?

The petrol and diesel have came capacities don't they?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Both vehicles (petrol and diesel) will tow 1500 KG as a maximum.

The diesel will always be a better tow car as the torque figures are greater

·
Registered
32 Posts
All manufacturers max tow weight are generally based on the ability to restart on a 1 in 8 hill and take no account of stability. The general guidance for towing a caravan is that the laden weight of the caravan should not exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the car. Additionally, if you tow anything more than the car kerbweight, then you need to take an additional driving test if you passed your test after 1 Jan 1997.

The kerb weight of the Civic Sport diesel is 1407Kg so the max caravan laden woight would be 1200Kg. It would be unwise to tow anything over 1407Kg and possibly illegal if you don't have the correct licence. The 1500Kg tow limit is thus just a theoretical limit.

See this
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/D...Articles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10013073&chk=BIZx8Z

Brian

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thats absolutely spot on Brian.

All I know is the max figures.

You obviuosly know your onions.

Didn't know it was a license issue aswell though

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
On new licences (post 97) drivers may only tow a trailer <750kg. DSA call this a small trailer. If you want to tow anything heavier, you must take a test to get a '+E' bit on your car licence.

Also, the maximum weight vehicle new drivers can drive is 3.5T. A new driver cannot tow a small trailer on this as the train weight will exceed 3.5T and it becomes an HGV.

Drivers who passed their test earlier do not have such restrictions, may tow any trailer their vehicle is able to tow, and can drive HGVs up to and including 7.5T.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On new licences (post 97) drivers may only tow a trailer <750kg. DSA call this a small trailer. If you want to tow anything heavier, you must take a test to get a '+E' bit on your car licence.

Also, the maximum weight vehicle new drivers can drive is 3.5T. A new driver cannot tow a small trailer on this as the train weight will exceed 3.5T and it becomes an HGV.

Drivers who passed their test earlier do not have such restrictions, may tow any trailer their vehicle is able to tow, and can drive HGVs up to and including 7.5T.
This is not quite true. The limitations on a new licence is that you can tow up to 3500Kg gross train weight provided that the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. In reality, this means that only heavy vehicles, like 4x4's towing heavy trailers, need the "+E" bit on their licence.
Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts