2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio reception has always been poor and as yet there is no fix.
Interestingly a new phenomenon has begun to exhibit itself.

When starting the car first thing in the morning the TP indicator in the radio display disappears and the reception on FM is appalling with hissing and crackling.

If I then switch on the heated rear windscreen for a few seconds and then switch it off again, the TP indicator reappears and the reception clears to a reasonable signal!

Can it be that the multiplex wiring loom is playing up and needing the power going to the windscreen to temporarily boost the ariel?

Who knows, but I am in the process of booking the car in for some warrenty work; creaking dash, fuel filler not opening and bootlight never having been connected to the power, so will add this to the list.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My reception is OK but tried this out of interest and find the heated rear screen has no effect on signal strength. I wonder if you have a connection problem to the aerial or aerial booster ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very possibly a connection problem as suggested.
The fact that the boot light has never been connected does not fill me with confidence about whomever was working on the rear of the car when it was built!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
It's pretty easy to check the wiring - it's all concentrated in one place and Honda have a step by step procedure for making sure it's all connected correctly. Probably best to ask your dealer to do it, if you're not keen on dismantling the boot.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is going in for the remedial work on the 18th and I have made them aware of the problem.

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
Thats a strange one, i've never had any problems with the radio reception, no better or worse than any of my previous cars.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I have had many ideas over the months as to why my radio doesn't work properly and tried it with other things off/on etc, it doesnt change it just doesnt want to play nicely for me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car went in for some warranty issues today, the radio included. Luckily the garage was able to replicate my problems, including the TP icon disappearing when cold and the poor reception with the heated rear windscreen on.
I am now advised that the poor reception is possibly due to a secondary cable, which runs down the passenger side A pillar being trapped behind the dash/radio. They have to order the part and will fit it at the same time as my iPod link to save taking the dash apart twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts