1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but it comes with a charger..and lasts for 7 days..wouldnt be too much of a problem for me though..

it looks handy and you wouldnt need to pay for subscriptions etc..one off payment at £199

·
9,228 Posts
Yea but it comes with a charger..and lasts for 7 days..wouldnt be too much of a problem for me though..

it looks handy and you wouldnt need to pay for subscriptions etc..one off payment at £199
And if your Civic gets stolen, with the tracker battery on its last day ? …

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol i always charge my stuff when its near empty..dont usually wait for a device to lose all its power before charging :)

im sure there are way of having it connected up the mains so youd have power all the time

·
9,228 Posts
Lol I always charge my stuff when its near empty .. dont usually wait for a device to lose all its power before charging :) I'm sure there are way of having it connected up the mains so youd have power all the time.
My point was, that the probability of your car being stolen, with 7 days charge in the tracker, is extremely small - unless you're recharging every day ...

Yes, a mains feed would be possible - but the tracker is unlikely to run on 12V, so you'd probably need a transformer and surgery to the tracker ...

Personally, I'd look around some more ...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
He does live in Glasgow though Derek!!
Seriously....You have to ask this question for any device like this....Is your car vulnerable to theft where you live?
A clamp may be cheaper!

·
9,228 Posts
He does live in Glasgow though Derek!!Seriously ... You have to ask this question for any device like this ... Is your car vulnerable to theft where you live? A clamp may be cheaper!
Yes, I knew that - I'm from Partick myself ! ...

For myself, it's completely 110% not required where I live - but, it's a different story when I'm on a long European tour, when I sometimes have to park in somewhat less than salubrious areas (like Yorkshire :p !!!) ...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Yes, I knew that - I'm from Partick myself ! ...

For myself, it's completely 110% not required where I live - but, it's a different story when I'm on a long European tour, when I sometimes have to park in somewhat less than salubrious areas (like Yorkshire :p !!!) ...
Good one!! Though the Vauxhall you were driving wouldnt need one either!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I have a tracker similar to that although knowhere near that price, about £40. It has a battery and a 12v supply. It has a sim card in it (pay as you go). you can phone it and it will return its position and speed via sms or you can go full GPRS mode and track it via software only a google maps style screen.

I think it's one of these, but be careful, apparently there are genuine ones and fake ones and although both work each company claims to be the original so I couldn't figure out if I had a fake or not. Anyway mine works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-GSM-G...GPSSystems&hash=item2a12bf3b6d#ht_5012wt_1302

Here's one with a car charger included and magnetic backing at a pretty good price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-GPRS-...Accessories&hash=item439dc980d7#ht_4578wt_905

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it works like a treat i might get one..

I know what you guys mean..dont really want to pay £400 then £150 a year for subscription..sounds cheap of me lol..

At least at £40 it isnt too bad..right?

·
9,228 Posts
If it works like a treat I might get one ... I know what you guys mean ... don't really want to pay £400 then £150 a year for subscription ... sounds cheap of me lol ... At least at £40 it isn't too bad ... right?
I recognise the logos - cheap Chinese jobs - but doesn't mean they don't work - and at that price, you'll have dosh to spare, for a 12V supply ...

I'd like a GPS & GSM unit, 12V supply with backup rechargeable battery, for a reasonable price and no subscription, that sends its location direct to (say) Google Maps on my phone "on demand" ...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'm using gSat M9 in my FN2, it's battery can last up to 60days + it has 12V supply. Bought from here - Main - gsTrack.eu
GPS server annual fee is also included in to the price.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I recognise the logos - cheap Chinese jobs - but doesn't mean they don't work - and at that price, you'll have dosh to spare, for a 12V supply ...

I'd like a GPS & GSM unit, 12V supply with backup rechargeable battery, for a reasonable price and no subscription, that sends its location direct to (say) Google Maps on my phone "on demand" ...
I'm working on something like this at the moment. I've written a program to track it on google maps, the originally supplied software doesn't work on windows 7.

When I call my tracker it sends an SMS with a hyperlink that takes you straight to a google maps style webpage showing it's location. Switch it to GPRS mode (via an SMS) and it will try to connect to my home pc which will pickup location broadcasts and plot them on google maps :D

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
pointless , having worked in insurance industry. people are putting £200 trackers in audis. only for theives to break into car , plug in a £20 GPS blocker load car onto truck . and strip it down till they find the tracker to remove it.

when you do sell the car ,and the new owner tries to take ownership of your tracker subscription they have to fork out another £200 registration fee so it defies the insurance premium they were to save on !!

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
My point was, that the probability of your car being stolen, with 7 days charge in the tracker, is extremely small - unless you're recharging every day ...
Plus your car won't necessarily be found the day it is stolen. Even with a tracker it can be long-process to finding the exact location of the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts