2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one really has me fuming for some time now. When I drive over an uneven bumpy road some sort of click/clack sound originates from the boot area. I've been reading around and put some tape around the u-shaped back seat latches and around the u-shaped boot latch itself. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped yet.

I've read about bump stops on the boot but I seem unable to find any. Does Honda put them on the CTR?
I'm going to continue (well I'll try) to fix the other rattles present. My front air vents are still rattling and there is a lloud cracking sound just behind the passenger's seat as well. This is going to be a full-time job isn't it:rolleyes:

cheers,

Jeroen

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the lock. It's a tight fit. I've removed the parcel shelf now and put the seat, for which I used thinner tape to cover the u-latch, down.
Thanks for the tips guys. Tomorrow, I'll stick a person in the back or in the boot to see whether we can narrow it down a bit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you there. I hate them too. They're keeping my mind off the road sometimes. Hmm the only things that are still in there now are the jack and tyre toys. The sound isn't dampened but just to be sure I'll get them out also, for now. It's so nice to have a hobby:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Munro, I've got a funny feeling they are missing. There are only 2 right? One on the left and one on the right? I'm asking because I see a fair few empty holes between the two stops. When I get the chance later I'll take a picture.

I did cure a rattle though[smilie=upyeah.gif]. The hard cracking noise originating somewhere behind and lower than the passengers' seat is being caused by the rubber running along the inside of the door. If you wedge a finger in between and push the trim (for testing so you don't have to set off when searching for the sweet spot) it's gone. I sprayed some silicone spray but most likely I need rubber grease or something. Also I found something else loose: the support 'bars' for the back seat. There is quite some play there.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
You've probably checked this already, but the seat belt buckles - when not in use - rests agains an area of hard plastic and can make a nasty rattling sound on uneven roads.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did. But not for that reason. I was afraid they would scratch the trim:oops:.
I'm betting my money on the seat supports or missing hatch stops. Can't wait to fiddle with it:)

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
1) Remove all items from centre console
2) Remove all items from glovebox
3) Fasten all unused seatbelts
4) Remove parcel tray
5) Don't wear a metal watch bracelet

Then go for a drive with a passenger.

I had what I thought was a rattle from around the passenger face level air vent for a while. Only when I had a passenger did they tell me they thought it was coming from my side. Turned out to be a couple of items in the centre console.
= Those rattles don't always come from where you think they do :(

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Munro, I've got a funny feeling they are missing. There are only 2 right? One on the left and one on the right? I'm asking because I see a fair few empty holes between the two stops. When I get the chance later I'll take a picture.

I did cure a rattle though[smilie=upyeah.gif]. The hard cracking noise originating somewhere behind and lower than the passengers' seat is being caused by the rubber running along the inside of the door. If you wedge a finger in between and push the trim (for testing so you don't have to set off when searching for the sweet spot) it's gone. I sprayed some silicone spray but most likely I need rubber grease or something. Also I found something else loose: the support 'bars' for the back seat. There is quite some play there.
There are only 2 rubber stops on mine

Glad you got your rattle sorted ! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
It might be the rubber bump stops attached to the hatch. They screw in and out, it takes 1 minute to adjust them so that the boot just closes without being loose.
Yes,well worth investigating.After approx. a year I suddenly started getting a knock from the back of the car.Screwed out the stops a little and knock gone:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got around solving it: the culprit is the parcel shelf. I've had it removed for about a week now and it's safe to say the noise is gone. I wish I had tried removing it before taping everything else in the boot:).
I would have sworn it was a metallic sound though...goes to show my ears cannot be trusted

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't a clue yet. I've almost persuaded the gf to take a ride in the boot to find out:p. When I took it out it felt very solid so I'm pretty surprised about this.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update. Noise hasn't come back after refitting. I guess the shelf may have come loose just a tad. Removing all the taped hinges was a daunting chore:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts