2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,
Without going into detail, later this year i have a chance to upgrade from my 2.2 06 Civic (ES) to a 1.8 09 Civic (same trim).

Baring in mind that my driving habbits have changed from 400 mile a week to about 100 a week, and from long slogs down country roads to morning commuter traffic, am i going to notice much of a difference day to day between the two?

For example, i like my 2.2 as its extremely frugal as i know i can go on long motorway trips in comfort and have it not use much fuel. But when it comes to driving, unless im bombing it around, its awful to corner as its heavy at the front. Its also expensive to service compared to previous cars, and it does have a fair few faults that i cant afford to fix (no deal killers, just annoyance faults).

Usage, day to day it would just be the to/from work, but occasionally at weekends or on days off, i'd probably be driving a good 60-80 miles to somewhere nice for the day, with some nice driving roads on the way there.

What sort of real world difference would i notice between the two?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance all. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would i notice the drop in torque day to day though?

What about the 0-60, what is it on the 1.8 ? (speeds off to google...:p)

At the moment, its seeming to me that even with the engine being inferior in a few ways, its seeming like a no brainier. A practically brand new car, with 5 years of servicing thrown in, that's completely fault and damage free, for not alot of dosh, seems like a no brainier...?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick google leads me to this:
Fuel consumption (urban) 32.1 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 51.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 42.2 mpg
0 - 62 mph 8.9 seconds
Top speed 127 mph
Cylinders 4
Valves 16 v
Engine power 140 bhp
Engine torque 128 lbs/f

So top speed & 0-60 are pretty similar, or as good as makes no difference.
Power is slightly higher, but the torque significantly lower...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Youll hate it after having a diesel!!
No torque...... and having to thrash it to get any performance?
You'll regret it..IMO
Get another Diesel!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Youll hate it after having a diesel!!
No torque...... and having to thrash it to get any performance?
You'll regret it..IMO
Get another Diesel!!
Thrash it in what way, over rev?
Tbh, i'd be happy that there was no lag at times...

Still seems a bit of a no brainer though, a banged up half faulty Diesel thats 5 years old, for a perfect condition 2 year old Petrol with the same trim level...?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
You will notice after the diesel, that you will be changing gear more times than you have had hot dinners and reving the nuts off it.
We are not saying that the deal isn't a good one, just answering your questions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S'alright, I'm appreciating the input:)
So lack of torque=more gear changes?

What about handling? As when I changed from my focus to this civic, apart from the speed, the handling took a huge drop as it's front heavy...

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I can't say that I had a problem with the additional weight at the front, when I owned my 2.2.
It was the Type S GT with Sat Nav, which I believe was set a bit lower than a 5 door.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Thrash it in what way, over rev?
Tbh, i'd be happy that there was no lag at times...

Still seems a bit of a no brainer though, a banged up half faulty Diesel thats 5 years old, for a perfect condition 2 year old Petrol with the same trim level...?
No...LOL...Not over rev!
Its the vtec engine that I dont like..I prefer turbo petrol cars.
I drove a 1.8 petrol and even a 2.0 vtec and was found wanting!
Didnt feel fast at all!!
The torque of a diesel is what I like

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't say that I had a problem with the additional weight at the front, when I owned my 2.2.
It was the Type S GT with Sat Nav, which I believe was set a bit lower than a 5 door.
I found that it screeched round corners that I ordinarily had no problem with in my focus, so I had to start taking them wider and slower.

Hmm, I might go and try a 1.8 before I go for it...

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
Drive it first before you buy,I drive a 1.8 80% of the time because I like the sound and the way I have to rev the engine for me I'd say it's more of a drivers car obviously not as much as a type r tho.I use the 2.2 on the motorway for mpg and laziness Ie don't have to change gear but as your doing less miles it could be a easy way of getting rid of a faulty 2.2 and get a more reliable 1.8 but sadly every car is different you need luck on your side

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Also - bear in mind, that the vtec engine of the 1.8 is purely for economy ONLY and does not give it any additional power whatsoever.
Only the Type R vtec does that.
So when you read on hear about the folk putting their 1.8 into "VTEC MODE" , it just doesn't happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also - bear in mind, that the vtec engine of the 1.8 is purely for economy ONLY and does not give it any additional power whatsoever.
Only the Type R vtec does that.
So when you read on hear about the folk putting their 1.8 into "VTEC MODE" , it just doesn't happen.
Tbh, as long as it's more fun to drive and I don't notice the lack of torque when doing things such as overtaking, etc, I think I'd be fine...

What sort of economy would I get out of a 1.8 realistically? Wiki says about 35ish. What does that work out as per tank? I get about 400 a tank out of my diesel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drive it first before you buy,I drive a 1.8 80% of the time because I like the sound and the way I have to rev the engine for me I'd say it's more of a drivers car obviously not as much as a type r tho.I use the 2.2 on the motorway for mpg and laziness Ie don't have to change gear but as your doing less miles it could be a easy way of getting rid of a faulty 2.2 and get a more reliable 1.8 but sadly every car is different you need luck on your side
Drivers car in what way?
If you used the petrol on the motorway, how would you change your driving style? Surely it's just a case of kicking in Cruise control and away you go, with the only difference being mpg?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
You can't expect the petrol to compare with the diesel in mpg.
It needs the gear changes and revs to get it up there.
If you consider that changing gear constantly will be your thing, then go for it, but take the car for a long test run, before you decide.
My Honda Dealers over the years, have often let me have a car for a day, certainly 3 -4 hours. No good a half hour run, with the sales guy in it with you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't expect the petrol to compare with the diesel in mpg.
It needs the gear changes and revs to get it up there.
If you consider that changing gear constantly will be your thing, then go for it, but take the car for a long test run, before you decide.
My Honda Dealers over the years, have often let me have a car for a day, certainly 3 -4 hours. No good a half hour run, with the sales guy in it with you.
Im not expecting the same MPG don't worry. :p
Im just wondering what the average mileage out of a tank is. lol.

·
Registered
607 Posts
S'alright, I'm appreciating the input:)
So lack of torque=more gear changes?

What about handling? As when I changed from my focus to this civic, apart from the speed, the handling took a huge drop as it's front heavy...
Don't think its the heavy front end, more to do with the suspension set up from the middle ages. Plenty of owners on here have changed their suspension set up and are happy.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
Drivers car in what way?
If you used the petrol on the motorway, how would you change your driving style? Surely it's just a case of kicking in Cruise control and away you go, with the only difference being mpg?
its lighter so for me better round corners in my experience and being a petrol you get a engine note which is completely different to the 2.2 and with a induction kit can bring a smile to you face. also when 1.8drivers talk about vtec mode they are right in a way as it goes from eco mode to normal mode at around 3600rpm so the note of the engine does change aswell as the power distribution where a type r goes from normal to vtec mode!! all depends on your driving style and and miles you do.if you do 100miles or less per week the money you loose from mpg you will gain from the price you save on the car and service costs and clutches :eek:. i like the 2.2 on the motorway/long trips as overtaking is easier as you never really need to drop down gears

about down i get about 34-38mpg on a long trip sticking at 70ish i get 42-45mpg best ive had was 49mpg but that was doing 50 most the way.my trip says 36mpg at the moment and that with my driving style.

if you want 200bhp and dont want a type r you could buy a 2.2 and mod it but realistically you would need a new clutch ect so buy the time you spent all the money on that you could just as easily put a turbo on a 1.8. for me i want the mpg/petrol so its not a option.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its lighter so for me better round corners in my experience and being a petrol you get a engine note which is completely different to the 2.2 and with a induction kit can bring a smile to you face. also when 1.8drivers talk about vtec mode they are right in a way as it goes from eco mode to normal mode at around 3600rpm so the note of the engine does change aswell as the power distribution where a type r goes from normal to vtec mode!! all depends on your driving style and and miles you do.if you do 100miles or less per week the money you loose from mpg you will gain from the price you save on the car and service costs and clutches :eek:. i like the 2.2 on the motorway/long trips as overtaking is easier as you never really need to drop down gears

about down i get about 34-38mpg on a long trip sticking at 70ish i get 42-45mpg best ive had was 49mpg but that was doing 50 most the way.my trip says 36mpg at the moment and that with my driving style.

if you want 200bhp and dont want a type r you could buy a 2.2 and mod it but realistically you would need a new clutch ect so buy the time you spent all the money on that you could just as easily put a turbo on a 1.8. for me i want the mpg/petrol so its not a option.
Hmm.
Are the petrols inherantly less reliable than a diesel due to the higher RPMs or are they all much of a muchness?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts