2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when my car shows the speed limit based on the last speed limit sign it detected, there is a white horizontal line on the bottom of the speed limit sign picture.

Does anyone know what that horizontal line represents? I couldn't see an explanation in the manual.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
4,245 Posts
Do you mean the double line when it hasn't had an update for a while? I guess not and I haven't seen what you describe. but keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the double line when it hasn't had an update for a while? I guess not and I haven't seen what you describe. but keep an eye out for it.
No. Not that one.

It's a thinker white line just underneath the speed limit icon.

The speed limit icon will be correct, and will match the last detected speed limit sign, but there will be a thick horizontal white line beneath it.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I can enter Liverpool and travel along Edge Lane, after the M62 finishes, which is a 30mph limit (even if the default for everyone is 40!!), and it sometimes indicates national speed limit
- don't think Plod would accept an argument for that one, even if I was in a hurry!!

Some of the electronics - discussed in other posts - just don't seem to integrate all of the time.

Al.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The white line indicates (at least over here) that there was a condition sign (white one) below the speed limit. So for example you have a speed limit that only applies when it is wet. In Germany you have the speed limit sign an below a white sign which says "Bei Nässe". Then the car will show the speed limit with a white line below it appears on the screen.

Reactions: TomPoyntz

·
4,245 Posts
But OP lives in UK and I have never seen a 'conditional' speed limit in UK. That's not saying 100% that we don't have them.
I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to prove me wrong though.

Update: Next post by OP seems to prove me wrong as suspected. Hadn't thought of that one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be 20mph when the orange lights flash. That would certainly apply to the place where I see this. It's on a stretch of road by a school.

Sounds like the line does denote a conditional speed limit then. Thanks Arsenal.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The condition is only shown as a white line on the small icon signs, if you change the main drivers information display to the TSR screen it will show you what the condition is e.g. Rain or time, unfortunately there are a lot of UK sign arrangements that the camera can be misinterpreted as the layout is similar to European sign layout and because of dirty signs or other obstructions it misdetects.
An example of this is a speed limit sign with a white speed camera sqare sign under it
Unfortunately TSR is not fool proof and is only from the image that the camera can see.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I noticed it shows a lot of signs which don't belong to my road.

Driving in cities I often get the 30 signs from roads going away from mine - on Autobahn you get the speed limits which are for the braking lane.
You can't trust it - there is a lot of work to be done in that area for autonomous vehicles...

·
Registered
871 Posts
there is a lot of work to be done in that area for autonomous vehicles...

I'm certain autonomous car wont rely on just using cameras to read road signs, they will actively talk to the road infrastructure and communicate with other vehicle to be able to make safe operation and also create close vehicle travelling.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once, mine picked up a train speed limit sign as we passed close to a railway track. It then indicated to me a speed limit of 120mph!

·
Super Moderator
21,005 Posts
Sounds like a right :worms: to me.

Just use your eyes and highway code.

Does it really display the last read sign till it sees another? If so, what happens in towns where there are no 30 signs because the old lamp post rule applies ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It should hold on to the 30 sign as you enter the built up area even though there are no repeaters.

I certainly wouldn't rely on the system and would never use it with the "Intelligent (?) Speed Limiter" as per page 500 of the manual. In one village I went through it read the 30 sign as 80!

·
Super Moderator
21,005 Posts
I was taking the above post that said it shows the last read sign. I was thinking about a 40 sign say being the last sign before entering a 30 zone with no 30 signs, quite common.

Especially when turning off into a side street.

I reckon I'm getting this wrong or there would be loads of reported errors.

·
4,245 Posts
It should hold on to the 30 sign as you enter the built up area even though there are no repeaters.
But it doesn't

In one village I went through it read the 30 sign as 80!
I have had that too.

No K. After a while, if it hasn't seen any repeaters as in a 30 or NSL zone, the display goes to a double dash but it seems to read 40/50 etc repeaters no trouble, so hangs on to the speed display until a limit change. Can't say how long it hangs on if it hasn't seen a repeater or how long it hangs on to NSL sign after exiting a limit. as I haven't noticed.
I'll pay more attention next time I go out and report back.

I was thinking about a 40 sign say being the last sign before entering a 30 zone with no 30 signs, quite common.
Then how does the driver know he's in a 30 zone using his eyeballs?

·
Super Moderator
21,005 Posts
Round my way the main urban A4020 for example is 40 mph for quite a few miles where it's dual carriageway. But as soon as you turn off into side streets it's 30 but they are not signposted as such.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts