2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
21,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Features of Trafficmaster RDS TMC
  • Traffic data is received through a dedicated FM receiver within the satellite navigation system, so that drivers can still listen to other radio channels via the car’s radio whilst the navigation system is listening to the traffic broadcast.
  • Messages arrive continuously and are displayed immediately to the driver. This means that users do not have to wait for traffic bulletins or rely on roadside information signs.
  • Only traffic information relevant to the location and route is provided.
  • Information can be displayed verbally or visually.
  • Information can be used to re-route drivers around traffic jams.
  • All events broadcast by the Trafficmaster service are traffic impacting.
Information can be displayed verbally or visually.

Why haven't we got that facility ? :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
I supose we do get this. On mine at least it pops up with tmc data and offers a reroute to avoid the traffic.

The only thing i don't like is the need to choose whether you re-route or not in such a short time. I invariably say no then call up the tmc data manually to decide if i want to re-route once i've managed to asses the imlications.

·
Administrator
21,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually for me by the time I've worked out what it's trying to tell me it's timed out :(

That is why I still have my Trafficmaster Freeway installed.

Also - my Trafficmaster Freeway seems to be a lot more accurate than their TMC service.

Quite often on the M25 the Freeway will give a warning, the TMC will show a clear road but sure enough there is a jam, or the TMC warning is a couple of miles further on than the actual jam starts, which has been correctly identified by the Freeway.

Strange!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I must be honest I haven't been too impressed with Honda's implementation of the TMC. Last time i let it recalculate a route it took 4 hrs on a 2hr journey to go round a 10 minute hod up!!!

Still, at least it will only take me 2 weeks to reach my nearest mcdonalds! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Usually for me by the time I've worked out what it's trying to tell me it's timed out :(

That is why I still have my Trafficmaster Freeway installed.

Also - my Trafficmaster Freeway seems to be a lot more accurate than their TMC service.

Quite often on the M25 the Freeway will give a warning, the TMC will show a clear road but sure enough there is a jam, or the TMC warning is a couple of miles further on than the actual jam starts, which has been correctly identified by the Freeway.

Strange!
I agree the Freeway is unbeatable. I bought mine 9 years ago and I trust it so much that I have never let the subscription lapse since. Much more reliable and up to date than any TMC or radio announcement.

Doug

·
Administrator
21,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought 2 from Watford Electronics just before TM stopped making them.

Reduced from £70 to £30 :)

So if one breaks I have a spare.

The people at the TM renewal centre are amazed that these were phased out because they still continue to get enquiries about buying them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts