2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd Civic and same issue albeit not as bad. From new its fine but after 4K on the clock the car tends to follow every rut in the road. My 1.8 CTS is better than the 2.2 CTS probably due to less weight but its still annoying. I took the last one into the dealer and it was fine apparently. The edges are fethering a tad but just the same as the last one and it does not pull left or right as such.

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
yep. i notice this in my CTR. Seems to follow every rut in the road and i'm constantly having to correct and fight it!!

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I had tramlining, until I had the full 'FRS' alignment done - all gone ! :D ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
is that on the hunter machine? i'm still tempted to get that done. About £80 though! probably worth it mind!!

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
my crt tramlines with the 19" rages, I have put the standard 18" back on for winter, no problem !

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think once the shoulders wear a bit thats when the tramlining happens. what's FRS alignment.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
yeah its been happening on my car getting far worse recently with my fronts being low. im swapping my fronts to the rear to see if it reduces the problem. its been a bit worse with the more grippy vredestien sessantas than michelin pilot primacies

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
ive rotated my fronts to rear ect and it has reduced the tramlining by a significant amount. the grip has reduced tho... have to wear them down a bit!!

·
radix lecti
960 Posts
The stiffer the tyre wall, the more tramlining you will get (and it will get worse as the tyre wears). So the bigger the wheel, the worse it gets, since the ratio of the wall height to tyre width gets smaller and the stiffness is increased.

More here (esp the last post): http://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels-tyres-suspension-brakes/20629-tramline-update.html
So I shouldn't have gone for the Extra Load versions of the Eagle F1s? D'oh. I read somewhere that a stiffer sidewall = less flex = better cornering?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Yes... but only on a mirror smooth race track.

On the rough roads you need compliance to allow the tyre to flex around to keep the contact patch as large as possible. Too stiff a tyre will give contact patch problems over irregularities.

Big wheels and wide low profile tyres are just a cosmetic thing. Really you need a consistent contact patch and the lightest wheel/tyre combo you can fit. More reading here: Low profile tyres vs F1 tyres

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read the links and it seems the cold weather (stiffer side walls) is highlighting the issue more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts