2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having a 2.2 type s for many years I have decided to go Type R and am now a very proud owner of a Nighthawk Black 08. Unfortunately the gearbox is very difficult and the clutch has to be on the floor before I can get a gear. Lots of crunching going on which is not good. I called the guy a bought it from and he says it has a sport box fitted, never hear of this and thinking he means shot shift?

Any ideas on this and how I can get a smoother gear change so that I can live the dream!!!!!

Thanks,

Jonathan

·
Enjoying life
8,564 Posts
If you take the centre console out you can look below the gear stick and see the bottom of the gearstick. You should then be able to tell if they have stick a short shifter on. Here's mine....you'll see I've added a short shifter.

Attachments

·
Enjoying life
8,564 Posts
Here's what the bottom of the oem stick looks like (short shifter is in hand)

Attachments

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
So after having a 2.2 type s for many years I have decided to go Type R and am now a very proud owner of a Nighthawk Black 08. Unfortunately the gearbox is very difficult and the clutch has to be on the floor before I can get a gear. Lots of crunching going on which is not good. I called the guy a bought it from and he says it has a sport box fitted, never hear of this and thinking he means shot shift?

Any ideas on this and how I can get a smoother gear change so that I can live the dream!!!!!

Thanks,

Jonathan
It will be one of a few things most likely mate, not uncommon.

First off, adjust the biting point to get it back up to half way up the pedal travel and off the floor.
An excellent guide can be found here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/99643-how-adjust-clutch-biting-point-fn2.html

Costs nothing and can be done in less than an hour or a garage can probably do it for £50 (hourly rate). If you bought it recently from a dealer they should sort this FOC.

As the bite is on the floor the clutch is not fully releasing and dragging causing the gears to crunch. Get it sorted asap as your gearbox will thank you in the long run.

Should this not cure it replacing the gearbox oil is another option but as the bite is so low it may not work as you really need to get that bite back to where it should be.

Thirdly get a good bleed of your clutch fluid. It should look like dark honey but if it's murky and black I'd also get that flushed.

If all the above fails unfourtantely it's time for a new clutch. Average price for new one and fitting is around £350 and best sticking with an OEM Honda one.

By sports box he may mean an aftermarket clutch which either wasn't fitted correctly or the pedal was not adjusted to compensate for the newer / thicker plate.

Good luck, get that pedal adjusted, 90% of the time it's just that but remember it's on the floor for a reason, usually a toasted clutch or a newly fitted, unadjusted one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts