2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussion thread for Trim rattles. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a 1.8 Civic Sport, it's just 3 days old now, but i have a very annoying rattle just above the rev-counter. Any idea on how to deal with that ? Is it easy to remove the trim to put something between the plastic and the plexi of the revcounter area ?

Thanx for any help !!

Greetings,

CivicLover_BE

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I did it with (quite a lot of) pure silicon spray - it worked. No need actually to dismantle anything, just be careful not to spray it on the windscreen itself (bl**dy hard to remove from glass)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where did you apply the silicon spray ? Do you have a picture of it ?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Where did you apply the silicon spray ? Do you have a picture of it ?
I've sprayed in all gaps in the dash with silicon spray - the one I used was a "presto" labeled one from OBI (Germany) - I guess any pure silicon spray will do. It's very pleasant to have no rattles in winter, after spraying the dash looked a little too shiny for my taste, but this was temporary. You can use the same spray for rubber sealing in the doors, nice stuff and dirt cheap (I don't remember exactly but I guess the 400 ml tin costs about 4 euros or so).

Oh, and don't spray on your gearstick or steering wheel, it leaves a "slippery" surface for quite some time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, thanx for the info. But i returned the car to the dealer... who fixed it !!! They replaced the whole dashboard trim !! And now... it's rattlefree ;-) My sweet ride, rides smooth !!!!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Hi, thanx for the info. But i returned the car to the dealer... who fixed it !!! They replaced the whole dashboard trim !! And now... it's rattlefree ;-) My sweet ride, rides smooth !!!!
Congratulations - hopefully it stays that way. On the other hand, if they would replace the trim on every Civic with rattles they would go broke in a week [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took my CTR back to the dealer last week for my 1000 Kilometer service, and I mentioned the rattles in the dashboard trim. I saw the service tech take the car for a test drive to determine the cause of the rattles. Upon his return, he asked me to join him on the test drive so that I might explain the parameters of when I was hearing the noise.... WELL!!!! Lo and behold, the car never once made a noise driving on rough road surfaces, or whatever......that is, until I drove away from the dealer.... Now the car rattles worse than ever, and I need to take it back. I think that the rattle gremlins in my car are very intelligent creatures indeed........LOL;)

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I took my CTR back to the dealer last week for my 1000 Kilometer service, and I mentioned the rattles in the dashboard trim. I saw the service tech take the car for a test drive to determine the cause of the rattles. Upon his return, he asked me to join him on the test drive so that I might explain the parameters of when I was hearing the noise.... WELL!!!! Lo and behold, the car never once made a noise driving on rough road surfaces, or whatever......that is, until I drove away from the dealer.... Now the car rattles worse than ever, and I need to take it back. I think that the rattle gremlins in my car are very intelligent creatures indeed........LOL;)
A red civic type R... I guess I know your problem: you're riding with the devil :evil2:

[smilie=cheeky-grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts