2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday was fine, overcast, but dry - ideal cleaning conditions, and just ready for the Trout Inn meet :p
(Cept I didn't get there, but that's another story :()

So - out came the Swissol bag :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From a distance, the paintwork is like a mirror :D

But up close :(

This is a crop of the pic in the first post.
It's not pixalation - this is simply a cropped part of the image taken on a 6MP camera from about 5 feet away.

Attachments

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Spent the afternoon in the same exercise. Thought no sun but dry, get out the polish.

BTW the wheels look good TT

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
TT, every time I see the NHB I realise why I went for that colour. The way the black trim/window surrounds & masking blends in gives the car a really butch macho look.:) Wheels look brill too.:D

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Looks just like mine Degs!!!!!

Very nice too......funny you say that about the paint, as the last time I'm 'proper' polished mine, there's areas in my paint that look like that too......:confused: :confused:

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Looks great TT! Shame you didn't get to the meet - another time maybe!

Shame about the colour though .....(Trekker runs for cover):D

Seriously, nice piccies, and I do like those wheels!

·
Registered
288 Posts
From a distance, the paintwork is like a mirror :D

But up close :(

This is a crop of the pic in the first post.
It's not pixalation - this is simply a cropped part of the image taken on a 6MP camera from about 5 feet away.
This is common in new cars. I was just checking out a VW - Passat. The paint is identical to Civic's paint.. has that orange peel look to it when looked up close

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Degs, the car looks great. And the colour--- need I say any more. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks all :D

I do love it very much, but I am a bit disappointed about the orange peel up close :(

My previous car was in a metalic blue (mauritius), and even with your nose to the metal it was 'smooth' :(

Hey ho - from more than a foot or so away it looks fine - might just need to wait for a week off and attack it with some clay bar one panel at a time :D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Nice wheels TT! Pitty you went for the common colour ;)

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Many thanks all :D

I do love it very much, but I am a bit disappointed about the orange peel up close :(

My previous car was in a metalic blue (mauritius), and even with your nose to the metal it was 'smooth' :(

Hey ho - from more than a foot or so away it looks fine - might just need to wait for a week off and attack it with some clay bar one panel at a time :D
Would the clay bar not remove the lacquer coat?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mal - such a big majority can't all be wrong :wink: :lol:

Wooly - yes, kinda...
Clay bar is designed to basically take everything off - including, if you use it for long enough, the paint down to the metal :eek: (But that would take a LOT of rubbing :wink:)

The idea is to take off any layers of wax / grime / impurities until you get to the 'top' of the paint.
And then you take off a micron or 2 more - basically 'flattening' the humps in the paint

In the hands of an expert (which I'm most definately not!!!) the results can be nothing short of astounding - I've seen some TTs which looked as if they had been attacked by a circular sander, bought back to life and looking as good as new :D
You're talking about a good 2 day job for that - but still cheaper than a respray!

Of course, the key things are
prep - a blinking good wash,
patience - an hour per panel easy
perspiration - it's blinking hard work!
polish - or more to the point, a TOP grade wax, to seal it all back up afterwards

but do it right and it'll be worth all the effort :D

Or find someone and pay them to do it :wink:

Realistically, you can expect to pay in the region of £250 - £300 for a full days worth of work.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finally got round to digging out a pic of the TT to show paintwork differences

civic
nhbmirror3.jpg
TT
onreflection small.jpg

the orange peel was there on the TT, but nothing like as obvious :(

And no, I'm not posting up the rest of the TT pic :wink: - it might cause offence :lol:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Real nice motor TTD:cool: , look for to keeping and eye out on the Cardiff trips.

Cheers

Elis

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Interesting comparison between your old Audi and the Civic, TT. I recently saw a NHB parked up alongside a new Suzuki SX4 and, having read many of the comments here about the Civic's black paint, decided to carry out an up close and personal comparison.

The Civic did indeed suffer from quite obvious orange peeling. The Suzuki on the other hand, looked extremely smooth with no noticeable OP effect.

In a blind comparison (for example if you taped off a couple of panels from each car and then asked someone to say which had the better paint job), the Suzuki would win hands down. In fact, I thought it even better than a new black Passat I saw that same day (which was still way better than the Civic).

It does seem, along with the Milano Red colour that Honda is having real QC problems with non-metallic finishes.

Must admit though, as an Alabaster Silver owner, the paint finish on my car seems up there with that of my old Honda Jazz. I check it carefully at the handover stage and it's actually very good.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Don't tell me your taking nude photos of yourself with this improvised mirror of yours.[smilie=think2.gif]

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cheers all :D

Elis - just don't go looking for a NHB that is anything like as clean as in those pictures :oops:

Jay - yep, not great :( The TT was metalic too though, don't know if that helps the look of the finish by 'breaking' the shine up. Hey ho. If we get some slightly better weather, my clay bar is (still) waiting...:oops:

Copycat - It was a very hot day! :lol: But I was wearing shorts :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts