2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought and fitted one of the STAGE 2 ROTREX SUPERCHARGER's from TTS off Ebay.

Just seems a bit risky been diy ??

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
seen this on ebay a while ago...tts has one on their car and fd2..there is also a feature on banzai this month so it looks good..whats so risky about it dude?:)

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
TTS have a very good reputation in the motorcycle game, they're one of the most respected UK turbo / supercharger tuners. Their kit will be very good I'm sure but not sure about DIY fitting...

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know about the bike racing, I raced for 10 years, Its not the product its the DIY bit I was thinking about, to be honest for that price it should be fitted just so you know its safe and the engine isnt running lean or something it shouldnt be.
Yeah its easy bolting on manifolds and induction kits but a supercharger,, Im not to sure.

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
Totally agree. I do stuff like exhausts etc. myself usually (on the bike at least) but a supercharger is a bit more complex. Could go pretty badly wrong if something wasn't done quite right... if it was me I'd get it fitted by a pro.

Sorry to be off topic, but what did you race?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
The only thing I can see iffy about it is that that want 500 quid more for it on ebay than they are selling it for on their own site!

Rotrex Supercharger | Home

With VAT at 15% I make that £3450 For the stage 2 on thier website as opposed to the £3910 on ebay.

HONDA CIVIC FN2 STAGE 2 ROTREX SUPERCHARGER . on eBay (end time 14-Oct-09 15:16:04 BST)

I cant believe there is so little pricing difference between the STAGE 1 and the STAGE 2 considering the performance, if the STAGE 1 was nearer 2k all in they would probably sell loads of them.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally agree. I do stuff like exhausts etc. myself usually (on the bike at least) but a supercharger is a bit more complex. Could go pretty badly wrong if something wasn't done quite right... if it was me I'd get it fitted by a pro.

Sorry to be off topic, but what did you race?

No problem, I think there is pictures in my album.

Started off dong the minimoto brittish championship on a Polini super.
Honda RS 125 (beat Stoner in 2002 at the 3 ststers) :)
Then bought a brand new Honda RS 250, sponsored by Kens m/c at newcastle and john frances m/c at redcar
Then moved to 4 strokes,
Gsxr 600K1
Then 99 R1 and 2005 R1,

Used to race with the Auto 66, around the northeast, At Olivers mount, used to get down to Darley Moor.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I can see iffy about it is that that want 500 quid more for it on ebay than they are selling it for on their own site!

Rotrex Supercharger | Home

With VAT at 15% I make that £3450 For the stage 2 on thier website as opposed to the £3910 on ebay.

HONDA CIVIC FN2 STAGE 2 ROTREX SUPERCHARGER . on eBay (end time 14-Oct-09 15:16:04 BST)

I cant believe there is so little pricing difference between the STAGE 1 and the STAGE 2 considering the performance, if the STAGE 1 was nearer 2k all in they would probably sell loads of them.
If it was 2K I would be in, 4K DIY ummm savage.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looks like a lot of cash for these supercharger kits...
Not really for the gains you make.
Think about M3 beating power, or something that will easily keep up with if not pass Evo's or Scoobs let alone blow a few supercars into the weeds and you start to realise its not that much money for the gains you get.;)

Regarding TTS, Richard is a top bloke. I have one of his custom Stage 2 kits on my Time Attack car and the real difference between stage 1 and 2 is all the extra fabricated parts like intrcooler and radiator. Having fitted a few of these kits yeah everything is there but its a lot of messing and you need to know your way round the car and a toolbox pretty well.

You also need to get it mapped properly so budget for a flashpro and a day on the dyno.
Typical fitting time in a kitted out workshop would be 3 days drive in drive out.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think about M3 beating power, or something that will easily keep up with if not pass Evo's or Scoobs let alone blow a few supercars into the weeds and you start to realise its not that much money for the gains you get.;)

Regarding TTS, Richard is a top bloke. I have one of his custom Stage 2 kits on my Time Attack car and the real difference between stage 1 and 2 is all the extra fabricated parts like intrcooler and radiator. Having fitted a few of these kits yeah everything is there but its a lot of messing and you need to know your way round the car and a toolbox pretty well.

You also need to get it mapped properly so budget for a flashpro and a day on the dyno.
Typical fitting time in a kitted out workshop would be 3 days drive in drive out.
So it looks more like £6000 then and then you have to start on brakes and suspention, so it could be up by £7000 by the time you have got it sorted right.
Thats just bought you a new RS, or a new STI with warrenty ect, unless you compete or have an obsession with the type R, I just dont get it.
Im sure when its done the car will be fantastic but when you come to sell it how much of your additional money will you get back,,,, not alot of it I bet

·
Registered
610 Posts
So it looks more like £6000 then and then you have to start on brakes and suspention, so it could be up by £7000 by the time you have got it sorted right.
Thats just bought you a new RS, or a new STI with warrenty ect, unless you compete or have an obsession with the type R, I just dont get it.
Im sure when its done the car will be fantastic but when you come to sell it how much of your additional money will you get back,,,, not alot of it I bet
You don't have to spend that much but it is prudent to look at the whole package rather than quick big power gains.
Pads, fluid and lines, yes. Uprated springs maybe but then you dont need to do that either. Point is for a comparatively low sum of money you can be pushing 350bhp and hand your arse to you in your nice shiny RS/STi.

You can remove the parts come sale time and make at least 50% of your investment back on parts alone so it will work out quite good value £ per grin.
Invest £25-30K in an RS or STi and I bet you wont get the same return when it comes to sell, let alone having to have spent a few extra £££ on mods as you will get bored with the standard power, want a little bit more, plus some pesky Civic left you for dead!:D

Fact is a £3500 supercharger setup, that is the charger and Hondata ECU still sell for between £2000-2500 second hand and are a couple of years old. Granted you have to pay the labour costs to instell/remove but the loss you make isnt the same as if you had brought the more expensive car in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont get me wrong the thought of it does make me smile but like yourself I have competed and if you comprise you get stung, I struggle with the brakes now so with another 100+ brake horse your gonna need at least a grand throwing at the brakes, Im not to sure how much the relevant ecu's are at the moment + mapping Then I would have thought an uprated clutch and theres sure to be extras ive not thought of, if your gonna do it you have to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just been looking around and for the price of the supercharger, brakes and other bits and bobs needed to make it right you can buy a very good Evo 5/6 running 350+bhp and keep you type R intact.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Very true and has to be considered. You do realise best mpg you will get out of an evo is 18-20 compared to a 500bhp supercarged civic that can still do 30mpg when cruising.
Also one needs servicing 2-3 times as often as the other.

Don't get me wrong I would have an evo if running costs weren't a consideration but that is where a supercharged civic wins hands down.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Evo 6 was doing 13/15mpg regardless how it was driven but hand on heart I never got passed in it around croft, it ran a 12.1 at york in damp conditions.
I think the problem is I have owned a car like that and its spoiled me and without spending alot of money whats better than the Evo?
up to around 130 it would slaughter an E46 M3, everytime you went out in the car you got a hit off it, Im sure your the same with your car, it's addictive
I'm talking myself back in to an Evo here, Evo for the weekend fun, Type R for the shopping.watch this space !

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
There is an element of sense in leaving the Type R alone and buying another car for thrashing...

It might cost more but it will be less hassle I'd bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Evo 6 was doing 13/15mpg regardless how it was driven but hand on heart I never got passed in it around croft, it ran a 12.1 at york in damp conditions.
I think the problem is I have owned a car like that and its spoiled me and without spending alot of money whats better than the Evo?
up to around 130 it would slaughter an E46 M3, everytime you went out in the car you got a hit off it, Im sure your the same with your car, it's addictive
I'm talking myself back in to an Evo here, Evo for the weekend fun, Type R for the shopping.watch this space !
I don't want to make myt first post an argumentative one, however I feel it's not about outright speed, I don't disagree that nothing passed you whne in the TME do you not feel a less able car than a very grippy 4wd EVO would be more fun...

surely it's the fun factor and not outright speed that counts in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My understanding is tha the Rotrex SC runs a very high 15psi, with the K20A engine being of quite high compression in it's very nature, is this not a recipe for disaster...

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to make myt first post an argumentative one, however I feel it's not about outright speed, I don't disagree that nothing passed you whne in the TME do you not feel a less able car than a very grippy 4wd EVO would be more fun...

surely it's the fun factor and not outright speed that counts in the end.
Hi,, Where you get get that the Evo is just about outright speed, The cornering and braking is just fantastic.
As for been more fun in a less able car,,, Na, you still have to push and hang on to the Evo, it's not a skyline.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts