2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anybody had any experience fitting and running a tuning box on a 2.2 iCDTi, like the racechip ones?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, anybody had any experience fitting and running a tuning box on a 2.2 iCDTi, like the racechip ones?
Hi
I have the racechip fitted on this car and had a few small issues but nothing that could not be fixed.
Fist, don't buy the extra for your app.waste of money, always asking to be paired as well.
You migjt find that if you run the settings too high in the box, your car will jump into limp mode.
Your settings need to be low enough not to do this. I found out a hard way and my car cut out overtaking a risky manoeuvre. Once it set then your car will pull like a train in all gears. Carefull though it can get you wanting to do it more.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You migjt find that if you run the settings too high in the box, your car will jump into limp mode.
If you car is going into limp mode with a remap, it's taking the car way beyond its capabilities on stock internals and turbo. You'll be putting a new turbo on it soon. If not a new engine & clutch as well.
--
Just get a reputable company to put a remap on the car. The chips are annoying as the OBD port is near where your left leg rests.

Also make sure you do go to a place that knows the 2.2 CDTI's inside & out. I'd recommend Celtic Tuning, they're based in the South West, but will travel to you for no extra cost as far as I'm aware. And they've been mapping the 2.2 CDTI since it came out pretty much they've always been the go to company. They're like £30 more than a backstreet garage.

You get what you pay for with remaps, I've seen my friends hand over £100 to a guy who came and plugged a laptop into their car, flashed a map onto it and then their turbo's couldn't handle the boost pressures. No rolling road, never even drove the car. And probably stole his remaps from Google.

As for those saying the car is fine standard, I've driven both a standard one and a remapped one, I'd take my remapped one every single day of the week. Completely transformed the car, way more power little turbo lagg and gets the TCS flashing in second gear when booting it in the dry. The stock one was boring with insane amount of lagg and the power dropped off around 3500RPM's. Mine pulls like a train to the red line.

Also don't forget when remapping you're getting extra power the vehicle never had, this strains the clutch more and the turbo. So keep this in mind if your car is high mileage. If you're on stock clutch within a while of remapping it you'll most likely need a clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you car is going into limp mode with a remap, it's taking the car way beyond its capabilities on stock internals and turbo. You'll be putting a new turbo on it soon. If not a new engine & clutch as well.
--
Just get a reputable company to put a remap on the car. The chips are annoying as the OBD port is near where your left leg rests.

Also make sure you do go to a place that knows the 2.2 CDTI's inside & out. I'd recommend Celtic Tuning, they're based in the South West, but will travel to you for no extra cost as far as I'm aware. And they've been mapping the 2.2 CDTI since it came out pretty much they've always been the go to company. They're like £30 more than a backstreet garage.

You get what you pay for with remaps, I've seen my friends hand over £100 to a guy who came and plugged a laptop into their car, flashed a map onto it and then their turbo's couldn't handle the boost pressures. No rolling road, never even drove the car. And probably stole his remaps from Google.

As for those saying the car is fine standard, I've driven both a standard one and a remapped one, I'd take my remapped one every single day of the week. Completely transformed the car, way more power little turbo lagg and gets the TCS flashing in second gear when booting it in the dry. The stock one was boring with insane amount of lagg and the power dropped off around 3500RPM's. Mine pulls like a train to the red line.

Also don't forget when remapping you're getting extra power the vehicle never had, this strains the clutch more and the turbo. So keep this in mind if your car is high mileage. If you're on stock clutch within a while of remapping it you'll most likely need a clutch.
Thanks mate, i'll speak to Celtic Tuning I think.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks mate, i'll speak to Celtic Tuning I think.
They're around £280 and you can select your options, whether you want the EGR blanking out, if you do go down this route you need a blanking plate off eBay.

They'll remap it in your driveway or place or work as well. They use other companies in your area I think and they put Celtic's remap on to your vehicle. I personally wouldn't use anyone else, anyone can remap your car but a lot don't know the capabilities of the car. Celtic is a safe bet not to do damage to your vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're around £280 and you can select your options, whether you want the EGR blanking out, if you do go down this route you need a blanking plate off eBay.

They'll remap it in your driveway or place or work as well. They use other companies in your area I think and they put Celtic's remap on to your vehicle. I personally wouldn't use anyone else, anyone can remap your car but a lot don't know the capabilities of the car. Celtic is a safe bet not to do damage to your vehicle.
What is the advantage of blanking the EGR?

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is the advantage of blanking the EGR?
Theoretically it prolongs the engine life, but I've seen the 2.2 CDTI engine with the EGR's intact tick over 250K miles.

You get a little bit more low down grunt when removing the EGR as well, but it's barely noticeable. If you can easily spot the EGR blank off, it's an MOT failure. It'd be hard to spot though.

Your car will also have slightly more emissions, this isn't a problem on the non-DPF Honda's but NEVER blank off a EGR valve on a car with a DPF, it leads to a clogged DPF.

So the run down is slightly increased power, no hassle of having to clean the EGR ever but more emissions. A lot of people on this forum will probably frown upon blanking the EGR off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theoretically it prolongs the engine life, but I've seen the 2.2 CDTI engine with the EGR's intact tick over 250K miles.

You get a little bit more low down grunt when removing the EGR as well, but it's barely noticeable. If you can easily spot the EGR blank off, it's an MOT failure. It'd be hard to spot though.

Your car will also have slightly more emissions, this isn't a problem on the non-DPF Honda's but NEVER blank off a EGR valve on a car with a DPF, it leads to a clogged DPF.

So the run down is slightly increased power, no hassle of having to clean the EGR ever but more emissions. A lot of people on this forum will probably frown upon blanking the EGR off.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Cars done 198,000 clicks so not sure whether to run it for a while to see if there are any issues or map it and take the chance to see if the old girl can cope with it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Cars done 198,000 clicks so not sure whether to run it for a while to see if there are any issues or map it and take the chance to see if the old girl can cope with it?
Has the clutch ever been changed in its life? I'm presuming it would have been changed by now.

But yes, the car is worn with that kind of mileage, but there's a few on here that have gone to 250K - 300K+ miles on a stage 1 remap with their standard turbo's, with the EGR intact.

Do you have any noise from your turbo such as extra whistle noise when cold if so I wouldn't bother remapping it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the clutch must have been replaced as it feels good and pulls well in all gears from low down with no sign of slip.

I'll check the turbo for any noises, good tip cheers

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think the clutch must have been replaced as it feels good and pulls well in all gears from low down with no sign of slip.

I'll check the turbo for any noises, good tip cheers
Here's the turbo whistle I got on mine when it was blown:

It only made this noise when it was cold, once warmed up it was fine. However the seals in the turbo were also failing, it was smoking blue on cold start and white when I launched off the lights. I've had two diesels do the same thing with blown turbo's.

They're silent when warm, another reason not to buy a diesel with a hot engine when viewing one for purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers mate, ill check it out, think its fine not noticed anything but but I haven't been listening.

(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts