2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

A week ago my car turbo blew up whilst on the motorway, resulting in a new turbo being fitted. Thankfully Honda did this under warranty (07 with 71000 miles) otherwise I was looking at a bill of £1800!!! - The dealer said they had never seen this fault before, but honda customers services have been excellent and therefore confirming my thoughts on buying another honda later in the year.

9 months and 25000 miles into owning the car there had been a number of symptoms that started to develop before leading up to the catastrophic event.

The car had not been modified (yet!)

· The engine had twice in the past reported 'check system' with the engine light on. Both times the AA and my dealer connected my car to the computer to find the error being reported as 'boost over pressure' - They couldn’t find any problem and reset the error message.
· After 30 minutes of driving moderately hard on and off the pedal around country lanes or on uphill motorway sections a strange sound would always develop. It sounded like an unhealthy version (rattling and more metallic) of a rally car turbo dump valve. It only ever happened in these condtions whenever I released off the gas, as you would expect from a typical turbo petrol car. (mines is a diesel 2.2 icdti)
· In the morning excessive blue smoke would regularly appear for 5 to 10 seconds.
· I did not notice any particular loss of power.
Since the turbo has been replaced all these symptoms have vanished and the car feels great to drive.

A big thanks to Arnold Clarke Honda in Stretford Manchester for doing a great job.

· Premium Member
248 Posts
I can thoroughly reccomend Celtic tuning for both the and service, however if as you say above you are changing cars later in the year, it would be a little costly.

· Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had celtic tuning in mind.. there is alot of good feedback on this forum for them guys.. All this DIY remapping looks great fun, and in almost every case looks to work without a problem but in my opinion its too big of a risk if something was to go wrong doing it yourself... Looking at the new car puchase in next 6-9 months.. Will be allowing my little sister use the civic, so it will become the family second car

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I think Pottsy may be suggesting that the previous owner had been tinkering with the ECU already?

Get a rolling road readout before you get it mapped or you may be wasting money if it has already been done.

· Never tap!
759 Posts
The DIY route is very fast and effective.

Couldnt be an easier process to be honest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.