2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Fn2 and I'm thinking about buying a turbo kit for it. I have a garage near me that can install the kit but I'm just wondering which one is the best bang for buck kit? I'm looking for around a 80bhp or so increase.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I have been looking at superchargers, I think they are more reliable. Any reason for turbo?

What I have seen for superchargers is £3000 -> £4000 + installation, £500 for hondatat and tuning. Bolts directly on with no need for other mods besides the chip. Higher boost requires new induction.

Also the superchargers I have seen claim around 75bhp stage 1 and 95bhp for stage 2 (charger +550cc injectors)

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
What's your budget guys ? Tdi north supply there turbo kits for between 6-8 grand I believe ? These particular kits are 200% reliable IMO when installed by tdi north.
Rotrex is a popular choice, around £3,000-£4000 again I think. My personal choice if you wanted supercharger and not turbo would be CT engineering kit. See my thread for more info on this
All of them will produce over 300bhp, 350-400bhp quite easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
I have been looking at superchargers, I think they are more reliable. Any reason for turbo?

What I have seen for superchargers is £3000 -> £4000 + installation, £500 for hondatat and tuning. Bolts directly on with no need for other mods besides the chip. Higher boost requires new induction.

Also the superchargers I have seen claim around 75bhp stage 1 and 95bhp for stage 2 (charger +550cc injectors)
i have seen more chargers fail than i have turbos.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Agreed. Perhaps he means like a turbo is a bit less friendly on the engine etc with torque spikes. But 350bhp or so is perfectly fine, arguably 400bhp also which seems to be the limit advised by tdi north on standard internals.

If I didn't have charger whine id love to feel the brutal power delivery of turbo boost. So expensive though.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,050 Posts
If it's mapped properly the turbo conversion should feel perfectly smooth throughout the rev range.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,050 Posts
There was a surge but certainly not a kick in my B Series. I had it mapped like that for good road manners. Makes power more linear and controllable on track too. It just felt like a more powerful NA car.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Here's a GReddy turbo dyno in an EP3, I'm not sure how they differ to tdi north kit although they did map it. You're right that it's smooth delivery but it's not so linear, especially the torque. And when you're on limits of traction, full throttle in 2nd gear it's going to spin up, perhaps even in 3rd with enough power because the turbo isn't as progressive as the supercharger. Boost by gear helps somewhat I guess but must be a compromise because you want all power/torque available at low rpm but after 5k is when it you want a bit less of it when it's more than the tyres can handle but BBG lowers the psi throughout the Rev range AFAIK.
Don't get me wrong though, as I said before, part of me would love to have turbo delivery, in the higher gears when traction isn't an issue it's faster and more fun. On the other hand, they don't make as much low down torque until boost kicks in, so at 3000-4000rpm when I'm cruising I have more torque available, not for very long though

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
how the torque comes in will be more to do with how big the turbo is than the map, a bigger one will take longer to spool but come in harder and a small turbos will spool quick but fall on its face at high rpm

and b series only have a noticeable kick as they are gutless before vtec.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,050 Posts
Don't get me wrong though, as I said before, part of me would love to have turbo delivery, in the higher gears when traction isn't an issue it's faster and more fun.
Like I said it's all down to the map. Make it a stupid oversized turbo and don't control it properly you will have problems. Size it correctly and map it correctly, you can have a very linear power delivery thats easily controllable.

Its also only as fast as your right foot:wink3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts