2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2.2 diesel Civic in October. It is still under a Honda warranty.

The car has a slight turbo 'whoosh' under medium to hard acceleration. It has not got any worse in the five or six months I have had the car, and there's no visible signs of a problem or any problems with performance or MPG. No oil usage either.

I just wondered if other drivers of this car can let me know if they too have a 'whoosh' so I can determine if it is normal or a potential problem.

The noise is only audible during acceleration when the 'kick' comes in, probably in the 1800 to 2400 rpm range but that's a bit of a guess!

Cheers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine is the same. Sounds like it's coming from the front left as u sit in the drivers seat. Only kicks in at 1.7k under harder acceleration although I tend to drive more for economy these days. I'm guessing it's normal but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Yeah mine makes that noise too...kinda a whistle noise...me likes!! (and hopes it's normal).

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
...maybe taking out the sound proofing under the bonnet?

Reactions: Settez

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
Not a bad idea actually. Would a different filter help?
Removing the cat will increase the likelihood of over-boosting in certain circumstances.

I guess there will be air filter options that make more noise, but tests by a former Civinfo member revealed that the stock air filter gave the best performance on the diesel... you'll find the thread if you spend enough time looking!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I bought a 2.2 diesel Civic in October. It is still under a Honda warranty.

The car has a slight turbo 'whoosh' under medium to hard acceleration. It has not got any worse in the five or six months I have had the car, and there's no visible signs of a problem or any problems with performance or MPG. No oil usage either.

I just wondered if other drivers of this car can let me know if they too have a 'whoosh' so I can determine if it is normal or a potential problem.

The noise is only audible during acceleration when the 'kick' comes in, probably in the 1800 to 2400 rpm range but that's a bit of a guess!

Cheers
its when they get loud and start burning engine oil is always a sign that things are going to get very smokey and expensive as it eats its own engine oil and wont switch off,

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Removing the cat will increase the likelihood of over-boosting in certain circumstances.

I guess there will be air filter options that make more noise, but tests by a former Civinfo member revealed that the stock air filter gave the best performance on the diesel... you'll find the thread if you spend enough time looking!
it does allow turbo to spin faster and gets rid of any lag, but down sides is turbo center bearing gets more of a hammering, but a plus side is more heat goes out the exhaust faster which could be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Haha! Sounds like this is a poor idea.

I'll just tell my inner chav to shut up:p
had one last week ford focus tdci turbo went sucked its own oil in to inlet rev'd off the rev counter 7=9k ish until it had drunk its oil. then to put cherry on the cake it also ingested the fins off the vnt smashed the pistons and cylinder head. and the crankshaft was all but welded to the bearings. lesson to be learnt check your oil regular and when it starts using to much find out why , rather than just buy more oil to keep up with it. and if it ever happens to you as soon as you feel the car rev on its own leave in gear and stand on foot brake to try and stall it before it gets going.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
had one last week ford focus tdci turbo went sucked its own oil in to inlet rev'd off the rev counter 7=9k ish until it had drunk its oil. then to put cherry on the cake it also ingested the fins off the vnt smashed the pistons and cylinder head. and the crankshaft was all but welded to the bearings. lesson to be learnt check your oil regular and when it starts using to much find out why , rather than just buy more oil to keep up with it. and if it ever happens to you as soon as you feel the car rev on its own leave in gear and stand on foot brake to try and stall it before it gets going.
[smilie=shocked.gif] woah

1 - 20 of 24 Posts