2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 2.2 ctdi and the same whistle as this:

I have read mixed opinions, some say its normal specially on cold start or cold weather, some say turbo may die soon.

After all these years, is there a final conclusion about this?

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
No it's not normal, you need a new turbo but ideally fix the cause of it failing before you fit a new one.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Thats not normal, it sounds like the turbo on my Mrs car. It's been running a Celtic stage 2+ map for a few years now which has probably killed it. When I drove it for the first time in ages I kept turning the radio down and checking for police.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Turbos can make lot of different noises for lots of different reasons if its high mileage the noise could be an indication of worn beings or simply slight damage to the turbine causing instability and noise i would ask if its a std turbo and is it running increased boost?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbos can make lot of different noises for lots of different reasons if its high mileage the noise could be an indication of worn beings or simply slight damage to the turbine causing instability and noise i would ask if its a std turbo and is it running increased boost?
Mileage is 146000 kilometers or 90720 miles

Standard turbo

Not sure what you mean with "increased boost", if you mean remapped, its not.

Noise happens only when car is cold i would say, but i dont like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just picked my car from turbo workshop. Turbo was fine. Its cracked exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Just picked my car from turbo workshop. Turbo was fine. Its cracked exhaust manifold.
What did they do, replace the manifold?

I'd have said every day of the week that the turbo had failed making that noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did they do, replace the manifold?

I'd have said every day of the week that the turbo had failed making that noise.
I only paid for diagnostic and he gave me a quote with OEM manifold.

Want to see is there is any non-oem i can trust.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
I only paid for diagnostic and he gave me a quote with OEM manifold.

Want to see is there is any non-oem i can trust.
So the noise isn't fixed yet?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Sadly a cracked manifold is common and has been seen on the forum several times. Not sure I've ever read a sympton of a cracked manifold being the noise you have though?

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Sadly a cracked manifold is common and has been seen on the forum several times. Not sure I've ever read a sympton of a cracked manifold being the noise you have though?
Exactly, the manifold was cracked on mine and didn't make a whistling noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts