2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ford definitely do use the term sidelights in the UK. :)
Parking lights in the UK is a different thing and the clue is in the name. They can be set to only operate on one side of the car.

Anyway this still doesn't help me with my ridiculously over sensitive auto lights. :(

·
Registered
871 Posts
Anyway this still doesn't help me with my ridiculously over sensitive auto lights. :(
From your picture you posted and the level of the sun in it, from my experience I would have expected the auto headlamps to be on with that lighting.

You will notice Honda auto lighting amongst other manufacturers is always first on / last off. Especially with low sun conditions in front of the car based on the need for rear lights to be on for better visability.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You will notice Honda auto lighting amongst other manufacturers is always first on / last off. Especially with low sun conditions in front of the car based on the need for rear lights to be on for better visability.
Yes it does seem to be that way....and I was actually being blinded by the low sun.
I just hate not having control over the lights on my car.
It might not have been all bad if my car had the sensitivity setting as stated in the handbook.....I could have set it to its lowest setting, but Honda have chosen not to make this setting available on my model. Possibly all UK spec cars do not have it....I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
No, there is no dealer adjustment available.
Do you know this for a guaranteed fact?
I don't know one way or the other, but if some models have built in software to allow customer adjustment, it at least seems possible that dealers might be able to make the same adjustment on other cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I find this annoying too. Bought a 1ltr SR 18 plate last week and the dipped beams seem to be on all the time. I know its winter now and the sun is a bit low but these lights are way too sensitive.

Anyone had a different experience?

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
I have found an exception, which is pretty obvious.

The general ambient lighting was quite bright but the fog prevalent in Merseyside where I live over the weekend was typically 50-100 metres.
I found I had to switch the lights ON - auto-lights had decided the ambient lighting was bright enough, but cannot determine visibility.

Al.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't understand what the issue is. So the car decides that the lights should be on when you haven't felt that way. What harm is that doing? I remember back in the 80's/90's the US market didn't want ABS as they felt it was taking away control from the driver bu now we have it 100% as its proven to be a positive for safety. DRL's are fine but they are only at the front (personally i think they should be front and rear). The car puts the lights on in low light so that your rear lights are on too. OK, so you might feel there are times when its unnecessary but that's the limitation of the system - it can't tell your in a car-park or under a bridge compared to it being dark but surely its not doing any harm and safe is better than not. You can turn them off if you wish, the switch defaults to Auto so that the next time you start the car they are in Auto mode but if it really bothers you, turn them off each time but i don't get why you would.

Genuine question, i'm not being picky.

Now if you want to advocate not having to turn the Idle Stop off every journey (thank god my CVT doesn't have it) or no having to turn brake hold on every journey - then i'll sign those petitions. :)

Reactions: M8TJT and Haltamer

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
Genuinely baffled by this. What causes such irritation? Surely as a safety feature it's a good one? I don't doubt you are more than capable of determining when you need to turn on your headlights but seemingly many people are not. If this prevents just one collision or incident on the road then it's well worth it.

·
i-Vtec
2,551 Posts
Genuinely baffled by this. What causes such irritation? Surely as a safety feature it's a good one? I don't doubt you are more than capable of determining when you need to turn on your headlights but seemingly many people are not. If this prevents just one collision or incident on the road then it's well worth it.
I noticed in a post somewhere else about someone's auto lights turning on and off in a fashion that someone pulled out in front of the poster as they had assumed they had been flashed out.
The issues is its affecting peoples ability to concentrate on the job in hand. Everyone has got lazy these days and expects everything to happen instantly and without them doing anything. People would rather surf Facepage or Facepuss someone behind the wheel instead of concentrating on driving.
Its like DRL's. A so called safety feature that has caused thousands of people to assume they are driving with lights on and quite happily bimble around at all times of the day and night without lights on. Quite frankly if you can't turn your lights on when its required take the bus, it's not a difficult decision to have to make. These automatic reversing parallel parking features another joke. No wonder people won't walk the length of themselves anymore.
I avoid the issue of forgetting to turn my lights on in the dark, or worrying about if the auto lights will work when it gets dark, or the need to have fancy fairy lights on the front of my car by turning on my headlights Everytime I drive, summer or winter.
I got fed up with the Auto Wipers too, what a waste of "technology" for technology's sake. Pulled the plug on them and now have a perfectly good and usable variable intermittent wipe.

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I take your point in the auto-dipping lights as that can be hit/miss.

I also see where you are coming from on the DRLs at night although I also see enough vehicles that don't have DRLs driving around with no lights to realise it's a bit of an issue. Agree if you can't remember to turn headlights on you shouldn't be driving etc but nobody is infallible. Anything that reduces risk in this sense is still a positive.

·
4,214 Posts
I'm not certain that it's a 'memory' thing at all. I suspect that a lot of people don't wsitch tem on to 'save tyhe battery' and others are of the attitude that 'I can see pretty well and it's not dark enough.
As to why they designed DRLs to come on only at the front rather than rear lights as well beggars belief. Perhaps it's to save the battery :ROFLMAO:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts