2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in quite a bad traffic jam earlier this morning and was stationary.

To save petrol I thought that I may as well turn my engine off; after all starting it is hardly difficult.

But then I realised that the only way to turn the engine off is to turn the key back to position 1; which resets all your trip information not to mention cutting the power off everything & what not for a few seconds.

Is there any other way of turning the engine off (and only that) that I've missed or is that it?

Without stalling the car anyway! I've thought of that one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the same with the renault laguna that I'm swapping from tomorrow when I get my civic sport. I guess having the key card and start/stop button that the renault uses has prepared me for the "big red button" the civic has!

It's still a little baffling to me that the car has a key, yet has a start/stop button. I can understand the renaults having a button start, as they have a key card which you put in a slot (although with the new key cards you don't have to anymore), but if you have a key why have a button? Not that I'm complaining or anything it just made me wonder!! :)

Adrian

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The baffling thing is why you push the button to start and turn the key to stop.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
so its not a stop button as well ?????? doesnt it say stop on it????
what happends if u press it with the engine runing also if u turn key of just of a min or 2 your have to reset sat nav trip stuff etc ?
Also like was said up there y have to put the key in to start , some lagunas ,yaris,focus, mondaos as long as u got the key on you the button works ! was well impress when i tryed m8s top spec yaris he had the key in his pocket and a press the butto it started etc simes the civics doing to much for show style but not going the last few feet into genral usefulness.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You can choose what resets the trip computer, Ign On/Off or manual reset.

RTFM Page 109 on mine under Customised settings

Re Dave
I think this is only for the "Duration", i.e. the number of hours/minutes travelled ..... it can go to zero with the ignition or manually.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
you can set it to reset all the A numbers (trip / mpg / av speed [I think] / trip duration) each time you re-fuel.

By re-fuel, it actually means 'open the fuel cap' - it's not quite clever enough to work out if you actually add any fuel :)

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
So does turning the igition off mess up your nav jouerney or anything or does it start from were it left of when u turn igntion back on ?
its been said that there 2 postions for the key if u turn engine off does it leave sterio on etc like on normal can u go down to ign off but asscioes like sterio on ? (sorry if posted before looked on search)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Engine running, key at IGN 2.

If you then -
Engine off, but only to IGN 1:

All accessories (radio etc) stay on

Engine off, key removed:
All accessories turn off, with exception of HFT which either turns off if no call in progress, or stays on for up to 30 mins if you are still on the phone (which is fun if you then get out of the car :lol:)

If you then turn the car back on:
When you press the Start button, the 'health warning' screen comes up on the sat nav.
Press 'enter' to agree (that it's not Honda's fault if you crash etc)
Sat nav will then pick up the route from where you are, based on where it was going when you stopped.
Without you needing to do anything :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts