2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just arrived home but on the way I had to stop at the lights. Tried like mad but could not engage 1st gear at all. Turned engine off, selected what appeared to be first and when letting up the clutch it obviously third.

It seems like all the gears have moved left on the shifter. 1st & 2nd are way over to the left, 3rd & 4th are where 1st & 2nd used to be and cannot enagage 5th, 6th or reverse.

Any ideas? Do not think I will make it to Warrington the way it is.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Eek, check cables on top of the gearbox - sounds like one/two have popped off.

If they're all intact, then check them at the base of the gear stick.

Just what you don't need on a Friday eh.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, might have to be one for the AA as i don't have the tools or ability to get under the car. Wonderful eh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
You don't need to get under the car just under the battery, or the center console.

Good luck.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
I'd also say cables are worth checking first, hopefully just a loose fitting when it was put back together rather than a broken / stretched one.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need to get under the car just under the battery, or the center console.

Good luck.
Tried looking under the battery with camera without success. Do I need to remove the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried Britannia Rescue and they will only recover 10 miles from home! Great, so cannot get to TDi . Declined and thought i would get info here first. Back to the AA after all this!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brittania came out and found that the clip holding one of the cables at the gearbox end is missing. Several cable ties later and all working. Dropped off at a local garage for a new clip to be fitted tomorrow.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Brittania came out and found that the clip holding one of the cables at the gearbox end is missing. Several cable ties later and all working. Dropped off at a local garage for a new clip to be fitted tomorrow.

Love them JDM cable ties xD
Same thing happened to me in a transit whilst in Glasgow. Also sorted with cable ties and 300 butt clenching miles!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All fixed. 2 new clips and 50 quid lighter! Still have difficulty getting the sodden thing into gear though.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need the twin plate tho

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TDi bled the system, then after that did not work, dropped the box and confirmed all ok. No idea what is going on but getting fed up!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
TDi bled the system, then after that did not work, dropped the box and confirmed all ok. No idea what is going on but getting fed up!

Hi mate,

Did you ever resolve the issue with your twin plate clutch? as i had the same twin plate fitted a number of weeks ago and experiencing the same problem. Cant select any gears since having the damper bypass fitted and clutch fluid bled.

Going to adjust biting point tomorrow before attempting to re-bleed system to see if that makes any difference but if you know of anything else to to look out for then would be grateful for any input. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I did not. Bleeding the system seems to help temporarily. It seems that engaging gears goes from normal to extremely hard or impossible (need to turn engine off and engage gear) and then back normal again for no apparent reason. In a 30 mile drive to work, with no stopping the clutch biting point appears to change, altering the difficulty of engaging gears. Not unusual for me to have to put hazards on and turn engine off to select a gear. When in first sometimes with clutch to the floor the car will edge forward slightly as though the clutch is very slightly engaged. Very odd. I do not have the damper bypass fitted though. TDi have bleed the system and then dropped the box but no issues found.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I had the same problems as you guys(i still have with reverse). Sometimes the reverse is going in quite nicely but sometimes not. When you have problem selecting gear, try to press the clutch couple of times and if it still does not engage then the problem is into the biting point. My biting point is quite different in 1st and in other gears but i got used to it somehow. If it does engage properly then it is a problem with the hydraulic system. Are you losing any fluids?

Also i suspect that the master/slave cylinders are not suitable for the harder pressure plate.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts