2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced a 2 tone effect in their metallic painted cars?

As far as I can see mine hasn't had an accident or been resprayed at any time.

It's more noticeable on sunny days at certain angles and always looking from front to back

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Mine isn't two tone but in the daylight Urban Titanium is bronze/brown but under fluorescent light or similar it changes to grey.

Also changes in daylight the closer you get to it goes from bronze to grey.

My old Galaxy Grey used to similar.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure? There's a definite difference between the bonnet and whole passenger side of the car.
It's pretty weird!
If you look from the drivers side it all matches and the whole near side matches.
Not unless one side has had a complete respray!!?
It's not as noticeable either if I don't clean it 😉

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's been hpi checked, nothing showed up.
It was however registered as a disability car when I bought it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lol maybe its disability is its odd colour lol anything could of coursed a respray on the bonnet i guess but deffo wrong shade of blue i would say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Definitely a distinct difference from bonnet to passenger side, though I still think its look good. Lovely blue on the passenger side! great depth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Panels like the bonnet and the roof always get the most abuse - if it's not from the blazing sun or snow and ice, it's from salt and road grit. All of which, can slowly effect the colour of the paint. Admittedly, none of those make paintwork go darker.:laugh2:

My opinion on your bonnet is that it was resprayed and the painter made 1 of 3 errors:
1. Ordered the paint from a distributors without checking the shade (most metallics/pearl colours have a minimum of 3 shades - Volvo Haag silver has 12)
2. He didn't follow standard practice of blending the colour. Normally, when painting an entire bonnet, you would 'flick' the colour into the top of the wings, then clear coat everything. With the curvature of the wings, most colour differences are lost.
3. The painter matched the colour under workshop lighting, found it to be a perfect match, and decided to paint it 'edge to edge' -no blending- then took it outside to find it was 3 shades too dark. Otherwise known as Metamerism.

I like your alloys, what are they?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
It's the way light is reflected off of the body panels into your eyes. I could go into all the science behind it but would take too long. In certain light conditions my Alabaster Civic looks different colours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts