2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2007 type R with 40k on the clock approximately 3 weeks ago, with a nice 1 year Honda warranty left on it. Test drive was great and absolutely loved it...and then some strange noises started occurring recently...

First, and probably the most annoying is a snapping noise from the front, usually when I'm slowly down towards a speed bump, I've read people saying about the drop links but would it be this? And would changing these be the perfect excuse for a set of eibachs and to have a FRS (although don't know anywhere near Norwich who would set this for me so any recommendations welcome)?

Second, whirring noise at low speeds in the morning, tends to go after a bit but is just a bit annoying when pulling away, anyone know what this is and the cure?

And third, a clicking noise from the clutch, only when I'm slowly changing gear and when it reaches the bottom, or is this just the pedal reaching the bottom?

Anyone know what these problems are and possible solutions? And can anyone point me in the direction of a good tuner located around Norwich?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Bought a 2007 type R with 40k on the clock approximately 3 weeks ago, with a nice 1 year Honda warranty left on it. Test drive was great and absolutely loved it...and then some strange noises started occurring recently...

First, and probably the most annoying is a snapping noise from the front, usually when I'm slowly down towards a speed bump, I've read people saying about the drop links but would it be this? And would changing these be the perfect excuse for a set of eibachs and to have a FRS (although don't know anywhere near Norwich who would set this for me so any recommendations welcome)?

Second, whirring noise at low speeds in the morning, tends to go after a bit but is just a bit annoying when pulling away, anyone know what this is and the cure?

And third, a clicking noise from the clutch, only when I'm slowly changing gear and when it reaches the bottom, or is this just the pedal reaching the bottom?

Anyone know what these problems are and possible solutions? And can anyone point me in the direction of a good tuner located around Norwich?

Thanks!
one careful lady owner?

Could explain broken springs (not slowing for speed bumps or objects in the road)

Clutch issues ... 1st 2nd 3rd gears all mashed... 4th, 5th 6th all brand new?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha no, always aware of them! It was a married middle aged man, he drove it as well me, and none of these problems were happening in the first week of owning it, and 90% sure it's not me, thinking of it as my pride and joy and not thrashing it, and barely go over 5mph on speed bumps out my way

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
if its under warranty ... take it in for a look find out whats wrong then get an independent garage to sort it ;)

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Issue one i cant help you with.

Issue 2 sounds like the cam belt slipping. You will need to tighten it or get it to a garage to tighten it.

Issue 3 sounds like a fault that some people have, the clutch pedal clicks i believe and is not the synchros. Have a search on here and see if its the same thing.

Good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts

Issue 2 sounds like the cam belt slipping. You will need to tighten it or get it to a garage to tighten it.

Issue 3 sounds like a fault that some people have, the clutch pedal clicks i believe and is not the synchros. Have a search on here and see if its the same thing.

Good luck ;)
Cam belt slipping??

1. If a cam belt slips the engine will either cut out or run very rough

2. The K20 has a cam chain not a belt mate

I'd say as it's under warranty mate, pop it into the dealers

·
Registered
684 Posts

Good luck ;)
It wont be the cam belt as it uses a chain.

It would be the fan belt.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts

Thanks!
1st issue to me sounds like a known fault, iv attached the service bulletin from Honda regarding it. Its a bolt on the subframe that needs re-greasing. Tends to be heard when accelerating/braking or turning (as the chassis is moving around under load) Loud click

2nd issue i would get the wheel bearings checked. Can often hear them at lower speeds. At higher speeds the engine/exhaust note takes over so isnt as much of an issue.

3rd issue is the clutch master cylinder. After getting mine looked at twice, I got mine changed under warranty. Its solved the problem. Clicked at the end of pedal travel and occasionally get an odd noise when bringing the clutch up to the bite. It almost seemed as if the pedal just needed greasing, but clutch master cylinder sorted mine. (again Document attached)

I would suggest printing these. Speak to the service manager at your nearest honda dealership and get them sorted.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st issue to me sounds like a known fault, iv attached the service bulletin from Honda regarding it. Its a bolt on the subframe that needs re-greasing. Tends to be heard when accelerating/braking or turning (as the chassis is moving around under load) Loud click

2nd issue i would get the wheel bearings checked. Can often hear them at lower speeds. At higher speeds the engine/exhaust note takes over so isnt as much of an issue.

3rd issue is the clutch master cylinder. After getting mine looked at twice, I got mine changed under warranty. Its solved the problem. Clicked at the end of pedal travel and occasionally get an odd noise when bringing the clutch up to the bite. It almost seemed as if the pedal just needed greasing, but clutch master cylinder sorted mine. (again Document attached)

I would suggest printing these. Speak to the service manager at your nearest honda dealership and get them sorted.

Hope this helps
Cheers pal, hopefully won't end up spending too much on it as wanted the money to go on some proper mods!

I did raise an eyebrow at the cambelt comment but then thought maybe I had the wrong idea, the whirring doesn't sound like its from anything near the engine, its more through the car, but goes after the initial pull away.

But cheers all :) anyone know of any good tuning places in and around Norwich? Or know of anyone off the forum from Norfolk who has had there car seen too?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Cheers pal, hopefully won't end up spending too much on it as wanted the money to go on some proper mods!

I did raise an eyebrow at the cambelt comment but then thought maybe I had the wrong idea, the whirring doesn't sound like its from anything near the engine, its more through the car, but goes after the initial pull away.

But cheers all :) anyone know of any good tuning places in and around Norwich? Or know of anyone off the forum from Norfolk who has had there car seen too?

If you have 1 years warranty left, you shouldnt be paying a penny. The dealerships cant deny the faults, when described, as per the sheet you can hand to them ;)

Get them sorted first and get the money spent on the mods.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
The second issue could be the clutch release bearing whining when you pull away. Generally shuts up when the car warms up a bit.
I was thinking this also , the only thing that really annoys me , clutch cold sounds like chewbacca , wish honda would sort this one :(

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Ok, the second fault is more than likely the clutch release bearing if it's happening when you're pulling away. From what I've read Honda know/knew but never found the cause, it's nothing to worry about and won't cause any damage.

The third could be the cruise control switch, is it just a light, slightly quiet click? I have this and after removing the cruise control switch the noise went away. The switch also made the noise when I held it in my hand and pushed the plunger in and out.

Other than the little niggles you have, I hope you're enjoying the Type-R, seems to be quite underrated :)

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If you have 1 years warranty left, you shouldnt be paying a penny. The dealerships cant deny the faults, when described, as per the sheet you can hand to them ;)

Get them sorted first and get the money spent on the mods.
I agree. I'd be surprised if you had to pay anything at all for the sub frame grease and the clutch master cylinder.

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
1. Just had my subframe bolts greased under warranty, its a well known fault, mine had the sharp cracking noise on full lock. Now perfect ;)

2. Clutches are well known to squawk a bit in varying degrees when cold on the fn2, mine hums when cold.

3. Pedal click, turns into a creak, it's the pop rivets that hold the master cylinder assembly into the bulkhead, they slacken off and The whole assembly moves. (service told me they have now added nylon bushings to the pop rivets to reduce the noise but I can't find anything online to support this) Initially the dealer will grease the pedal. This doesn't work , mines just had the grease applied, service manager said with a wry smile "see you in a couple of weeks for a new master cylinder" it's part of the process and they will replace it when the grease stops working (10 mins for mine lol)

Don't worry about all this they're all known issues and 2'of them have a fix. The noisy clutch can be cured by using an uprated aftermarket clutch drastic action I know but worth bearing in mind for a later date.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Was informed my squeaky noise was due to the clutch master cylinder which honda are replacing for me under warranty. Its not an issue that will cause damage but as the guy in the dealership agreed its bloody annoying!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts