2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I part ex'd my EX 2.2 diesel for a Type R Champion White yesterday.
When I start it it goes up to 2,000 revs, then after a minute or 2 comes down to normal revs.
The car seems to be laboured when driving through streets doing lower speeds, as if not enough air is getting through. It lacks power and seems to chudder.
Also I'm disappointed driving down the motorway as it lacks the power of my previous car. I was expecting the Type R to be very powerful, way more than the diesel. When I put my foot down in the diesel it was very responsive, whereas the Type R is flat.
There is no engine management light on, and I have cleaned the maf sensor without effect.
Before I get in touch with the dealer I wondered whether anyone has any advice/opinion.
Many thanks.

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
Surely you must be trollin'

On the off chance that you're not...

The higher revs on idle at startup is normal, the revs at idle decrease as the engine warms up. The colder it is outside the longer it will be like this.

And on the power front... You're not supposed to drive a Type R like a turbodiesel tractor. Downshift one or two gears, then floor it. 6-8k revs is where it's at.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
The idle sounds normal IMO. Type Rs lack the low down grunt of the diesel engine so they should be driven in a lower gear low down, all the power is high up saying that I do find the midrange is sufficient.

Perhaps take it to the dealer and get checked or let someone with a similar car drive it to compare, I have never known anyone to have to clean a MAF on these cars and on previous experience this bend up breaking them later down the line anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
I have never known anyone to have to clean a MAF on these cars and on previous experience this bend up breaking them later down the line anyway.
Just what I was thinking. The MAF is in filtered air and should never need cleaning really. They do occasionally go faulty but you'd know about it then.

It would be interesting to hear how the OP cleaned it. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
The usual way is to put in a bag with isopropyl alcohol and move it around to pass the fluid through the elements, you usually weaken them though and you soon know about it as you say john

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Serious thread here didn't expect sarcasm.
The car's definitely not running smoothly. Chudders in 2nd gear. Just thought someone might have been able to help.
Will find someone with the same car to get their opinion.
Oh, and I don't drive it like a turbodiesel tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I know where he is coming from here as the R can be a bit of a nightmare when you have to pick up speed in a high gear. eg after some trucker has pulled out infront of you. But to say that's dissapointed you makes me think you should have stayed with the smoker or got a turbo petrol as its torque you like.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well drove it 20 miles, parked 10 minutes then drove it again. Both times it lacked smoothness in the lower gears, as if it was pulling slightly.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
The cars throttle is very on/off at slow speeds and until you get used to this it can seem very jerky ..... maybe its that?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts