2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic says, I had just left my house and was driving about 40mph when all of a sudden everything went off. The engine died, the steering wheel locked itself and all the electrics went off. I managed to bring it to a stop safely under hazards.

Once i stopped i turned the key off and on again and started it up and it was fine.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Should i be worried and take it to the dealer?

Only thing i can think of is that my knee turned off the key but i dont think that is very likely as it was in the correct position when i came to a stop.

Not sure really :rolleyes:

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
That could be dangerous i would take it back to the stealers.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Concerning... were you, by any chance, coasting? I think I have read about auto-stalls somewhere.. not that I understand them greatly.. but could this be one of those instances?

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Sounds like there could be an issue with the DBW system. Experianced this before on a Mini, mines did it several times and it once happend crossing a busy road!

Usually they clean the plates at the back of the accelerator pedal and the connecting plate for the DBW and they can do a ECU upgrade via diagnostics. I will say however that Honda may not find anything relating to this and their answer could be call us if it happens again.

Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, this has happened twice to me, exactly as you descibed. This WAS due to me knocking the key with my knee, did not feel it at the time though so was pretty hairey, but after slightly adjusting my seating it never happened again.
So I would think this would be a good suggestion for you.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Sounds like there could be an issue with the DBW system. Experianced this before on a Mini, mines did it several times and it once happend crossing a busy road!

Usually they clean the plates at the back of the accelerator pedal and the connecting plate for the DBW and they can do a ECU upgrade via diagnostics. I will say however that Honda may not find anything relating to this and their answer could be call us if it happens again.

Good luck
If the engine had turned off yes, but the DBW won't lock the steering.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think im going to see if it happens again, i need to go in to get my 3rd gear fixed anyway so ill mention it at the time. Im thinking i might have knocked the key and not noticed, bit scary it would be that easy to do!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It happened the same to me with my old 206. Five or six times. I was very frightened about it, once it stopped just before a roundabout, the steering wheel blocked and the car went straight to the center of the roundabout. I managed to stop it safely, lucky me there wasn´t any car around. They fixed it (there was a service bulletin to fix it) and no problems since then -7 years. I don´t know exactly what was the problem, they gave me the faulty piece in a plastic bag (they always do it in Peugeot when they change something) - it was a little black box with some kind of sockets :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Engine stall/electric failure shouldn't lock the steering wheel. You loose the power assist but the wheel still has to move (I don't know the EPS system well, so I may be mistaken). Engine stall also doesn't cut electric power. Obviously it interferes with the steering and the braking, but the electrical systems wouldn't have "died" out and you would have had the dash lights coming up like a christmas tree. The key thing is what makes more sense so far except for the part you say it was in the right position when you stopped. The car drives in position 2 and it is only (almost) completely depowered in position 0. In position 1 I think you should have been able to restart the engine with the starter.

EDIT: Sorry, got confused. The starter works in position 2 (duh, what was I thinking), not 1, so the button wouldn't work. But at position 1 you would still have power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts