2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to all you type r drivers, i'm thinking of selling my type s gt and getting a type r, but i need to know about running costs ie mpgs best and worst figures, car tax, insurance costs, servicing, maintenance, timeing chain/belt change intervals, also any common faults to look for on the type r, any signs of missuse. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I say go for it, I did in November and haven't looked back since,

Best mpg on a tank: 42.3 mpg
Average : 24-29 mpg
Worst: 17 mpg
I run on v power which costs more but I genuinely get better mpg and the car sounds a little nicer than the normal stuff.

Insurance was £150 more than my 1.8 type S (I was 24)

Road tax is nearly double at £265

Servicing and other running costs are about the same to be honest. It uses slightly more oil than my 1.8.

As for faults they are similar to all civics look out for chrunchy 3rd and 4th gears but best check the wiki.

Sent by me

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Hey mate do this and dont look back. I traded in my 1.8SE and for my Type R and love it.

MPG - best 39mpg
- Average 25mpg
- Worst 12mpg :facepalm:

Running costs very simplified i use tesco 99ron fuel or shell v power depending what petrol stations are near. I do about £120 miles to £35 without letting it completely run dry.

Faults - as Tom said check the gears dont crunch, tbh the gearbox is a lot more crunchy imo but i think its down to being a sports car.

If insurance allows just do it, yes tax is a little more but hell... Its worth it ;)

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Go for it mate you wont regret it.

Best ive ever had was on the run down to silverstone got 44mpg but on my daily run to and from work i get 31-36mpg the worst ive ever had 17mpg.

My insurance isnt that bad tbh when I first bought my ep3 when i was 21 it was only £50 more than my 1.4 civ i had at the time and since then ive never looked back and am on my 3rd FN2.

Servicing aint that bad as others have said I use V power nothing less than 99 ron as i feel the car runs better and get better mpg

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I did the same this time last year. Had the Type S GT and loved it. Then had a bit of a windfall and got the Type R GT. Gotta be honest first few weeks thought had dropped the ball big time.... The ride was so hard and "crashy", it was so much more aggressive and totally different from what was used to with the S. I persevered and after a month or so loved it. The growl in the morning, the performance and the general feel of it.

As to costs as indicated above. Fuel depends on how you drive, where you drive etc. Im getting probably 32 overall in the last year which is not great but given my old 4x4 did 22 is a bonus!! Tax etc are standards and insurance will depend on variables.

Overall Im glad i got it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I average around 30-34 mpg on the combined cycle depending on how often I boot it and also the weather conditions.

Servicing is every 12500 miles, so around once a year for me.

Tax is £260 for the year and im paying £400 for insurance but im 35 years old with lots of no claims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts