2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY guys. Around six weeks ago I bought a 2008 FN2 Type R in Milano Red. After long searches. It is a beautiful car inside and out. I am now looking for an alternative car due to job change. I will have to drive 70 miles everyday to work, five days a week and fuel will cost me over 200 pounds a month. So I am looking to a Diesel.

Can anyone share some alternatives to the Type R? I want something reliable, nippy/torque. I know the Type R is in a league of its own so advice appreciated.

So far I have looked at the Volvo C30 Diesel, A3 S line.

Would it be worth going for a 2.2 Civic diesel?

Any other suggestions please?

If anyone is looking for a Type R soon and has something I am looking for to I may like to swap.

Many Thanks

Ed

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
FK3 just gone up for sale on here; already done up ;)

Reactions: Crazy gooner

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
That thing is a beast!!!!
Wait 'til the hybrid turbo and M-Factory LSD get fitted. ;-)

looks mental. FN3s are reliable right?

I spent 7k on my FN2, ideally do not want to spend much more right now lol.
Reliable as anything I've owned, regular servicing and oil changes, all the usual stuff. Touch wood, has never let me down, including several track days. Did have to replace the battery recently, but no big deal.

£3k of mods and you'll be :D :D :D.

NB Just clocked 121k. ;-)

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
i drive 120 miles to work in an FN2 5 days a week, feel for me lol
I thought I did quite a bit with my mere 60 Mile round trip commute...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'm so in two minds now.

Civic diesel

Audi A3 Sline 05-07

Golf 2.0 GTD 07-08

I need to make a decision sharpish as a hole is burning in my pocket that to be honest, I won't be able to afford for much longer. What should I expect for a part exchange for a good condition Fn2 08 with 60k on the clock. Usual stone chips but no dents.

Reason I'm thinking part ex is can't have two cars on the road financially.

Thanks

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm so in two minds now.

Civic diesel

Audi A3 Sline 05-07

Golf 2.0 GTD 07-08

I need to make a decision sharpish as a hole is burning in my pocket that to be honest, I won't be able to afford for much longer. What should I expect for a part exchange for a good condition Fn2 08 with 60k on the clock. Usual stone chips but no dents.

Reason I'm thinking part ex is can't have two cars on the road financially.

Thanks
Civic diesel.

The older those 3 options become, the more sense the civic diesel makes. I fear the VAG options will become high maintenance.

Anyway, 2 are cars and the other is a spaceship.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
agree with the 2.2 option. With about £1200 spent on it, you can get over 200bhp out of it. Then a few more mods to improve the handling. It'll shift when you want it to, and it'll barely use any fuel (compared to the fn2) when you don't.

For the trade in price you can get, you could easily get a facelifted Type S (if you want to stay 3-door). Mileage may be higher, but that isn't an issue with a diesel.

If you're seriously considering another manufacturer, take them for a test drive and see. If you stick with civics, at least you know what you're getting into regarding the interior, and a lot of the modificaton options are similar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Type S would be diesel right?? Facelift would be what, 09 plate and beyond?

I think that's what I'll do. I love Honda as a brand, their rep etc.

I appreciate all lf your help. For some reason it won't let me quote you guys hence replying like this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are 2 petrol and 1 diesel model of type s. Same engines as the 5 door models.

And yes, 09+ will be facelift, so you'll get the body coloured trim and front grill. Same as the type r.

Thanks mate. I think ill have to go diesel with the mileage, preferably GT version for cruise control too.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
get the civic diesel type s, much more value for money, and a nicer engine than the other options youve put up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the response. I'm looking at 6.5 k. Mine will trade for 6 or sell for more.

In London and Essex I haven't found any Type S GT yet.

What mileage should I be looking at?

Thanks

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
The 2.2 will run well regardless of miles; if it's been looked after.

Just check service history is up to par and the MOTs (assuming old ones are there when you view the car) dont have anything eye opening on them.
You want one that's either a late model or had a clutch swap, the older ones are weak.
There's not many common faults all in all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts