2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vaguely remember hearing soome years ago that Honda had done a test on an type-r engine which involved running it at full power non stop for something like 2 weeks.

It was the equivelant to going round the world god knows how many times on full power.

I have trolled the internet but cant find anything about it......

Does this sound familiar to anyone or did i dream it????????????

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think loads of engines are tested like this. I've seen loads of videos of engines being tested so much that there manifolds are glowing bright orange.

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be totally wrong with my facts and figures.....but at the time I am sure it was an unusual enough event to make the national news

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I read an article (admittedly a few years ago) that said Honda had NEVER had a VTEC unit fail "in the field", seem to recall Mr Clarkson also allude to this fact in his road test of one of them.

Then again, Honda have always made fantastic engines. The same article also stated that back in the 60's, the Germans did not believe the claims made of the s800's rev happy engine. Aparently, the engine they tested on the bench got to 11,000 RPM with no ill effects, then the Dyno let go under the strain. Lots of very :oops: german engineers.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I think it might have been on the honda mentalism sub site?

I definately recall the bit where they froze a Honda ATC in a huge block of ice for weeks, then thawed it out and it started first time :D

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The Swindon Engine Plant has the only manufacturing facility in the UK where petrol and diesel engines are assembled on the same production lines. It produces 300 diesel and 380 petrol engines daily. At the end of the engine line there are three dynometers where around one engine in a thousand, depending on what manufacturing or specification changes have taken place in the production process, is run up to test performance and durability. These tests can run from one to 400 hours per engine covering up to 8,000 different operating cycles, from stop-start through to running at prolonged maximum speeds. At the end of the tests the engines are destroyed and not fitted to production vehicles. To re-cycle the energy generated during the tests each ‘dyno’ is linked to a generator which provides electricity to top up the power used by the South Marston facilities.

I found this paragraph from the link below
What Makes Honda's Swindon Factory Tick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts