2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im soon to be buying a type s gt in the next month or so. Just waiting for the right one to go then its bye bye to my beloved em1.

What i have been noticing tho when looking at the market is the huge amount of type rs for sale. Its qutie obvious that people are struggling to sell them and the demand for them isnt that great. I remember the demand for the ep3 being much greater in its lifespan?

My friend who has worked at honda stockport for years says no one wants to buy the type r for a number of reasons and no one can sell them anymore. 1) Money to run it ie fuel, tax, etc etc. 2) the aggro that the red badge brings. He reckons people just dont want the aggro of having a type r any more and told me a number of horror stories about people have there door smashed through for keys etc and being followed home etc.

So whats your opinion guys. be intresting to get a few different opinions . Or is it me and the type r used and new are still selling like hotcakes.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I think people are just watching money at the moment to be honest. The R is awesome, I love it as much today as the day I got it.. and on that day I was an excitable kid!
It has cost me a lot though, keeping it to a good standard, servicing and tyres. Tyres are killer on the 19" rages and I seem to get through them fairly quickly haha.

I will be selling mine soon and I will be replacing it with another Fn2..

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts
Second hand market seems pretty good for the TypeR...if your buying. I got mine a few months back, 57 plate, Rages, Navigation...etc, for £8.5k.

But as mentioned, servicing & general maintence adds up! Plus a reasonably hefty tax band.

Tyres are killer on the 19" rages and I seem to get through them fairly quickly haha.

Saying that, my old motor (Peugeot 107 xs) was bought at the start of the recession for £4k (less than 18months old), driven for 3 years (35k added to the clock) and sold for £3,950! :D :D There is money out there, I guess it does just depend on what your selling.

·
Registered
307 Posts
obviously for a lot of people money is still tight... a high taxed, high insurance hardcore hot hatch probably isn't on a lot of peoples shopping lists. 10 years ago our work car park was full of petrol cars- mondeos, focus's, 306's, astra's etc etc...now its full of diesel 320d eco's, Avensis's, skoda yeti etc etc....i am still living the dream though and roll up in a bone shaking type r thinking i'm cool...:(

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
i am still living the dream though and roll up in a bone shaking type r thinking i'm cool...:(
Until you compare day to day costs and you end up sat in the loo's crying :(

I know i couldn't afford to buy and run a CTR at the min :mad: i've put off swapping mine for my old mans Scooby STI because of fuel, tax & insurance costs !

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
I actually found the Type R not that much more to run than a Diesel Type S, I only do around 500 miles a month though.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I actually found the Type R not that much more to run than a Diesel Type S, I only do around 500 miles a month though.
In all honesty, mines no better, 27mpg at the min...

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
for people buying a ctr or any other sporty car, fuel economy is the last thing on their mind!!you want a fast car...expect **** fuel economy!!!i sold my ctr and bought a 630 msport BMW and also own a mercedes ML!!!its all about the fun driving them forget the running costs

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
that is low we are averaging 28-33mpg in a :typer: and we mostly do local short runs around town
Im getting around 20 on short runs, 21-24 on longer runs :(

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Unfortunately it's due to my commute :( it's barely warm by the time im at work and mostly sat in traffic!

I got 56.6 on the 800m drive from the petrol station to home last night though! haha
29mph 4th gear, JUST above idle and the average thing shows approx 90mpg all the way home! (dropped of for the time spent stopped both setting off & on the drive haha)

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
walk then!

ARE YOU MAD MAN ???

Obviously you havn't frequented to Manchester enough if you'd suggest walking to work!
The weather is less predictable than "the roadrunner" ...! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I didn't buy an R for fuel economy which is why I didn't mention the amount I spend on fuel :) . I did overlook the fact that a 19" tyre is a good £50+ more than the same tyre in 18" though. I wouldn't say I drive mine very hard really but I easily get through £1000 of tyres a year.

I get about 26mpg out of mine.. Lots of b road use :) .

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I think its purely down to Road Tax and fuel.

I was going to get a Type R and then the labour government of the time started talking about making the top tax band £2.5K per year.

As the Type R was near the top I envisaged a £1K plus road tax bill in the not too distant future and decided to go Type S to what is now a much more affordable £160 per annum.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

If and when an eco R comes out with low tax and consumption but high performance, then I'm sure the take up will be high once more.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
If the same level of ride comfort could be achieved to that of the Type S, I'd have one. With the 18'' wheels and tyre profile don't think that could realistically happen, irrespective of any changes to springs and shocks etc. ? :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.