2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my new FN2 for a week it finally starts to feel like 'my' car after some 20 hour detailing and 2 days of cleaning the white original wheels.

It started out like this on a rainy sunday morning when I just had picked up the car in the southern part of Sweden and had started the 400 km journey back home:

The first job was to start cleaning the interior. I wet-vacuumed the whole interior and went to town with my interior detailing brush for a couple of hours:

Then I got started on the wheels. They started out full of thick tar spots and a rather dull apperance:

After some 2 days of wetsanding, mashine polishing, ceramic paint coating and finished of with some high-temp wax I got them to look like this:

After that I dipped my wing mirror caps in black with Maston rubber paint (way better end results than with Plasti Dip IMO):

Then the exterior got a full detail which included a decontamination with iron fall-out remover, clay bar, quick one step polish (waiting for paint depth tool to assess how much the paint can take in terms of mashine polishing) and finished of with ceramic coating and a paste wax to give it some extra protection and gloss:

Overall not bad results from a car that has done around 150 000 km. I love this car...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will post some more pictures where I will also include the engine bay which I washed and restored. Some future jobs will include paint chip correction, dipping the grill surround, new license plate holders and new license plates. I will maybe get some personal plates with some Type R/FN2/Championship White message like "FN02 CW" or "FN2 CTR" or something like that. In Sweden we can use 7 letters with spaces included. Feel free to give your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Looking forward to pics of engine bay and dome tips as i need to do mine at some point.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, here are some pictures of the engine bay as promised. I'm sorry for the ****** phone cam pictures and unfortunately I forgot to take some before pictures.

So what I did was to start by removing all the loose debris. Then I covered the MAF and other connectors with aluminum foil and the alternator with a plastic bag. Then I rinsed the whole engine bay with water and let it sit to dry as I started the pre wash prep on the exterior. Then I sprayed some 1:6 diluted ValetPro citrus degreaser all over the engine bay, agitated it with a stiff detailing brush and let it sit for a couple of minutes. After that I rinsed it with moderate pressure from my pressure washer without bringing the lance to close.

After the engine bay had dried I removed the rubber intake pipes which were all yellow-brownish in color. I then used a hard plastic brush along with ValetPro Citrus Degreaser and some water with car shampoo to start getting the discolored rubber black again. But this was very hard and I really had to fight get it off. What I did then was to try some ValetPro Tar and Glue remover and wow! All the discoloring was gone in matters of seconds and it left the rubber looking like new. A word of warning here - don't let the Glue and Tar remover sit for more than a couple of seconds as you work it in with the brush or else it could potentially stain/damage the rubber.

So the intake pipe you see in the pictures has no glossifier or any other enhancement - it's just naturally clean rubber which shines like new.

I also removed the heat shield that sits on top of the valve cover and polished that with some Autosol metal polish. All plastics were treated with some ValetPro tyre dressing, although, a plastic dressing product is recommended.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good work there bud, I picked mine up last weekend and it’s had silicone dressing thrown all over the engine bay, I’ll be giving it a good once over soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I changed the pads and discs around the car. Zimmerman Coat Z rotors with Textar pads in front, Jurid coated discs with Stark pads in the rear. What a **** job it turned out to be. The original front discs had corroded and stuck to the hub so it took a good 2 hours per side to just get them off. I have never seen that issue on any other cars, not even on old french motors from the 80's.

Also painted the calipers and filled in the Type R letters on the fronts. Looks much better but will be done properly with dark grey in the future.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Nice Job, like the silver calipers compared to the red most seem to do..

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Crumbs the disks must have been REALLY stuck to give you that much grief.

I hope you applied copper slip/similar to the hub/disk mating faces ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crumbs the disks must have been REALLY stuck to give you that much grief.

I hope you applied copper slip/similar to the hub/disk mating faces ;)
Yeah, it was the worst I've seen. And on a fairly new machine.

I try to live by the rule to do all work on the car in such way that I don't need to swear like a sailor the next time (read: proper torque specs for all nuts and bolts and grease where needed).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice Job, like the silver calipers compared to the red most seem to do..
Thanks. It was really a last minute decision to paint them and my first choice would've been a graphite grey, but this works well. Much better than the old half-rusted calipers. It's just Molotov Burner Chrome so time will tell how they will fare. Will probably use the Foliatec kit later on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts