2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i currently drive a fiesta st150 and am looking to change to a civic, there are a couple in my local area for sale one being a type R and one a 2.2 diesel si model. ideally i would go for the type R but the diesel isnt that far off power wise from what my ST is (140hp vs 150hp) and im tempted to go for the diesel for the added economy but im not sure what the si means in terms of spec?

For those of you who have a type R what would you expect to average fuel consumption wise? does the engine have to be worked hard to get to the most from the engine, as opposed to the diesel which has more torque and is the ride quality really as bad as people say? my st is awful at slow speeds how much worse or better would the civic be?

both cars have 75k miles and a full history and are the same price, the difference being the diesel is a 2010 and the R is a 2009.

will i feel short changed going for the diesel? should i just bite the bullet and go for the R?

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I’ve never driven a diesel but the torque and low down grunt appeals to me and suits my driving style.
Saying that I own a Type R and absolutely love it. Needs revved for good performance but goes really well in vtec.
Fuel consumption is actually not bad, I see anywhere between 35-38mpg average per tank and that’s a good mix of different roads and town driving.

Trim wise I’m not sure what the SI has but when I had my old Type S I always longed for the sports seats etc in the R.

If they’re both local take them on a good test drive and see what feels right.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good advice, the fuel economy actually sounds pretty similar to what my ST managed, my only other worry with the type R would be the ride quality? is it really as bad as people say?

anyone have any opinions on the si diesel motor?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
My 2.2 absolutely gets on my nerves. It's nice on the motorway but that's it. Nose heavy and generally uninspiring drive. Even though it's remapped it still runs out of puff WAY before the red line. As a general runaround, family car, school run, tip run, towing a trailer, it's ideal. Anything else, Type R all the way. Fuel economy, 50mpg.

Yes you will have to 'rev' a FN2 more but the gearbox is a torque multiplier and you'll have more fun in it than a diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2.2 absolutely gets on my nerves. It's nice on the motorway but that's it. Nose heavy and generally uninspiring drive. Even though it's remapped it still runs out of puff WAY before the red line. As a general runaround, family car, school run, tip run, towing a trailer, it's ideal. Anything else, Type R all the way. Fuel economy, 50mpg.

Yes you will have to 'rev' a FN2 more but the gearbox is a torque multiplier and you'll have more fun in it than a diesel.
I agree,

Diesels are great for low down torque, but uninspiring to drive. Revvy petrols are way more fun - they can also be more reliable these days and cheaper to repair due to the lack of particulate filters / egr valves etc.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Just get the type r and put eibach springs on it if you don't like the ride quality. The ride won't be much better in the diesel.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I love my 2.2 Si diesel, fdrives beautiful on all roads and conditions.
Does lack cruise control though in the Si spec but has colour coded wheel arches, 17 inch alloys and leather, also 5 doors (which i need)
If you can live with the fuel economy of a type r and 3 doors go for it :)

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Why not try an Si petrol? It has the same power as the diesel and the same spec (see Trev27 post), some say they are more reliable than the oil burner. Honda introduced the Si to appeal to "younger" drivers so it looks better than the standard car.
I have both 1.8 Si and TypeR, get 40+ from the Si and 30+ from the R.
Guess which one is more fun!
Yes you have to spank the R to get the max out of it but it pootles around town like any other car you just have the get up and go when you need it. Cruise control is useful on long runs but you won't get great mpg whatever you do, running it on Shell V power or similar will get the best out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the Type-R, is it the Limited (Championship White Edition) which for the last 2 years of production which i think was 2010-2011, was included in all the Type-R's, a 2009 if not White may not be the Limited version.

Championship White Edition (Limited Edition) gave the LSD, which makes it even more fun to drive, as well as other minor additions. I have had my 2010 Type-R Championship White Edition since the day i purchased it off the show room floor, and love it. It also has HARDER SUSPENSION which may be even worse for you if you looking at that as a buying point. All limited editions are track spec.

In RSA parts are getting a bit stupid on pricing, and i wish i got the same KM/L or MPG, but i only get around 25 MPG for more town drives than highway, if i have more highway i get maybe 30 MPG. Since the CTR EURO was mostly manufactured in the UK, for the Europe market, i can not see your prices being an issue, for parts. On my side the one thing that is very good for a CTR Championship White, is the resale value has stayed very high compared to any other car, my mother has a 2007 Audi Q7 and father has a 2010 Audi A6, and if they trade both in they would still fall short of my cars price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, since I have access to both and have just in the last hour driven both... On the same roads Diesel does 49mpg, Type R does 31. The diesel has to be worked most, since it's only got any go when the turbo is spinning, the Type R pulls much smoother through a much larger range of engine speeds, but when the turbo is spinning on the diesel it will pull much harder than the Type R can, though it is only briefly.

Ride and handling are chalk and cheese. The diesel is a barge, it cannot go round corners anything like the type R, but it is very comfortable. The type R is incredibly harsh on your backside from a ridiculous choice of dampers (springs aren't actually that hard), not helped because the seats are harder (and narrower, and sit you higher up). I find the driving position of the diesel far nicer.

The ABS and VSA are considerably less sensitive in the Type R, they allow more slip before activating. The PAS has less assistance too for a slightly more direct feel, but it is heavy as hell with the 18s compared to the diesel on 16s.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I think it boils down to smiles per gallon or miles per gallon.

Just exactly how does the diesel pull harder than the Type R when the Type R is a quicker car?

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Have both and completely different cars. Diesel is used by wife and heavily modded. Good family car and nice on motorway.

Fn2 is mine and really nice car. Feels and drives very different to the diesel. Can get 40mpg on motorway run while got 67mpg on motorway run in diesel. Thats driving with nothing but economoy in mind

Not my personal car but selling a really nice fn2 and think im gonna sell the wifes car now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts