2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Type-R front Grill Badge !

Has any poor bugger fitted one of these yet ?

Got mine in from Holdcroft, and low and behold you have to disassemble half the car to get it on !!

Reading through the instructions and the amount of parts I need to remove, I think you're looking at around 4 hours work !?!

Am I right ? Can anyone in the know advise ?

If I'd have known that, there's no way I'd have parted with my money - suddenly a half decent stick on one is looking like a good option !

Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
62 Posts
i fitted mine with out taking the bumper off you do lose the use of your arm for an hour or so but it is worth it ,there is a plastic cover between the slam panel and grill take that off and you see the gap get a suitable socket to push home the star washers a bit of blu tac seeemed to hold it on ,it does hurt but no pain no type r badge :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought about geting the clip on badge, but after seeing the boot badge on the grill, on a friends car i decided to go with that, i think its a little bigger but in my opinion it suits. i used no more nails tape and hasn't budged in months!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
i fitted mine with out taking the bumper off you do lose the use of your arm for an hour or so but it is worth it ,there is a plastic cover between the slam panel and grill take that off and you see the gap get a suitable socket to push home the star washers a bit of blu tac seeemed to hold it on ,it does hurt but no pain no type r badge :D
This is the approach I took. You can loosen the grill off and gently pull it forward without damaging it (it can bend to a fairly daunting angle without breaking). Just unscrew every bolt you can find along the top of the grill!!!

And yes it hurts and you get a scratched arm. But the result is a well stuck on badge thats going nowhere! It took about 30mins.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Took the same approach as beermonster and milano 19. Took 30 min but well worth the effort.

At least you know it won't fall off in the frost!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

Think I'l have a go this weekend with removing the grill without doing the full works. The 8 page instruction booklet showing the whole front end of the car off didn't fill me with much enthusiasm or hope !

Anyhow, I'll have a go at the sore arm approach. Is it advisable to still use some form of adhesive, i.e. 'no nails' or similar then ?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Sore arm approach was used here too! It helps if you're a skinny bugger like me though...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sore arm approach was used here too! It helps if you're a skinny bugger like me though...

Hmm sort of medium build here, how much of your arm disappears ? If its up past the elbow, I may have issues with my bulging biceps.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
just got a grill badge and side stickers!:D
thank god i don't have to take the bumper off! i'll put up with a sore arm!
what do people clean the car with before applying the side stickers?

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
i used the arm lose method, extremly hard if you have bigger arms.
in the end i got my brother to finish it, works well but careful you dont break the grill or anything, but like someone said its fairly flexable

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
taking the bumper off is very easy ok so theres a few plastic clips a few 10mm bolts and 2 screws and you have to remove the side wheel trims can do mine in 15mins and that without marking the paint to put it back is quicker about 10mins mind you having done it loads of time i surpose i can say its easy . if any would like some pics of how too remove i might be able to post in a few days ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just stuck mine on using some very very good sticks like **** glueand have had it on my car since the first day I bought it last September...took it to France in the soaring heat....never ever had a problem with it and it took me 1 minute to stick on:)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Thanks guys,

Think I'l have a go this weekend with removing the grill without doing the full works. The 8 page instruction booklet showing the whole front end of the car off didn't fill me with much enthusiasm or hope !

Anyhow, I'll have a go at the sore arm approach. Is it advisable to still use some form of adhesive, i.e. 'no nails' or similar then ?
Mine came with a 3m sticky patch. I never managed to get both clips done up fully so i have relied on this patch to keep it solid. I think a LITTLE glue instead of the patch may be worth while.

And it's only your forearm that vanishes, so massive guns won't get in the way!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
OK, so I was going to try the non-dismantle option this afternoon as I've got small arms...

But embarrassingly, I've fallen at the first hurdle...I couldn't even get the big black plastic thing off after opening the bonnet. There are eight clip things, but I couldn't seem to pop them out. I got one OK, but I managed to snap two others before I gave up and take the skin off my finger. Total failure.

Is there a knack to these clips? I note that the manual says I need a Clip Remover...

Looks like I might have to resort to just sticking it on the front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts