2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say coming from a Mazda RX8(230) to a Type R GT I am really enjoying the extra fuel economy of the R.
Driving the RX8 with a mix of economy and fun driving you where lucky to get 20mpg!

With the R the same economy and fun driving i am getting about 30mpg!
If you keep the V-TEC light on for long periods your fuel consumption drops to low 20s, (boy what a sound it makes when that light comes on[smilie=cheeky-grin:)[/LEFT]

I do think the RX8 was a bit faster, but my Type R has only done 720miles so it should still free off a bit!​

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I actually managed to get 36.5 mpg today. It just wasn't worth overtaking the continuous line of Sunday Drivers cruising around at @ 50 mph. I have been experimenting with the new infinitys and they sound pretty good now. Maybe all they needed was bedding in.

It sounds like Rx8 ownership was expensive at the fuel pumps.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
My first 500 miles i got 28mpg

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Try a Filter on the Fuel Economy Survey

I just tried a filter on the fuel economy survey for the Type R. I have extracted the bits I found most interesting below. Is easy to do the filter yourself for the full results (49 type R owners completed the survey).

How did you run the car in?
Very gentle, went on motorways - 12.24%
Gentle, avoided motorways - 4.08%
Bursts of full throttle, some motorways - 44.90%
Bursts of full throttle, no motorways (mototune method). - 16.33%
Thrashed it hard from day one - 20.41%
Don't know (second owner, poor memory etc)- 2.04%

Economy you see on the car computer, when the driving was on:
An equal mix of town and motorway / main roads? (Miles per Imperial gallon)
24- 4.17%
25- 6.25%
26- 4.17%
27- 10.42%
28- 18.75%
29- 2.08%
30- 18.75%
31- 6.25%
32- 4.17%
33- 6.25%
34- 4.17%
35- 2.08%

How much oil do you use?
Lots. Need regular top ups - 4.08%
Some. 2 to 4 top ups between services - 12.24%
Hardly any. One or no top ups between services - 83.67%

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I can get around 370 miles on a tank if i take it easy. The average mpg usually hits 41mpg by the time i have driven the 30 mile A-road journey to work. Lots of traffic and few overtaking opportunities and averaging between 55-65. I try to keep it under 3000 rpm for comute and then blast it at the weekend

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can get around 370 miles on a tank if i take it easy. The average mpg usually hits 41mpg by the time i have driven the 30 mile A-road journey to work. Lots of traffic and few overtaking opportunities and averaging between 55-65. I try to keep it under 3000 rpm for comute and then blast it at the weekend
really? in a type r? one tank i drove like a granny and only just hit 300

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
was being ultra gentle......no overtaking or anything.

And sticking the clutch in going down hills to sort of free wheel.

Oh yes...and no short journeys to shops etc

Not practical at all really.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

41mpg is exceptional for a type R, I would have a look under your bonnet and check there isn't a diesel under there. There is another thread where diesel owners are worried they are ony getting 38 to 42mpg!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I to was surprised by the fuel eccomeny.

Got a reading of 35.5mpg for a 400 mile trip mostly on motorways at 75-80mph.

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Thats a rather silly question......as you can see I am from aberdeen and the others are from glasgow.

By nature Scotsmen are incredibly mean and tight fisted and like to try and hold on to every single penny we have.

I certainly know this applies to me...lol

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Come on people if you were concerned over fuel economy you wouldn't have bought a Type R.
I am very happy with the Type R fuel economy, that was the point of my original post[smilie=cheeky-grin:

All that fun and power and very acceptable fuel economy figures.[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am very happy with the Type R fuel economy, that was the point of my original post[smilie=cheeky-grin:

All that fun and power and very acceptable fuel economy figures.[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]

I thought as much just on the wind up really.

I shouldn't even be in here really having a 1.8 'n all.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I get 24 normal driving and got 32 on the motorway up to birmingham the other day. What does that say about my normal driving!?!? If your worried about the fact that your forecourt cashier now knows you on a 1st name basis then get the shell mastercard from citi. You get 6% off shell fuel for the 1st 60 days then it drops to 3% after that. As a bonus you get 1% off everything else you put on the card.

It wont stop you visiting the garage so often but will make you feel a bit better about what your paying!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get 24 normal driving and got 32 on the motorway up to birmingham the other day. What does that say about my normal driving!?!? If your worried about the fact that your forecourt cashier now knows you on a 1st name basis then get the shell mastercard from citi. You get 6% off shell fuel for the 1st 60 days then it drops to 3% after that. As a bonus you get 1% off everything else you put on the card.

It wont stop you visiting the garage so often but will make you feel a bit better about what your paying!

I get about the same mpg`s for the Type R and Navara with one draw back the Navara costs about £70 to fill.

luckily enough i have a BP fuel card put through my Business, as the Navara is a commercial i get the VAT and tax back on all my fuel bills.

As a bonus there is a 1 digit difference on my number plates of my Type R and Navara,
I can normally put through the fuel for the Type R by giving the Navara reg number[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I get about the same mpg`s for the Type R and Navara with one draw back the Navara costs about £70 to fill.

luckily enough i have a BP fuel card put through my Business, as the Navara is a commercial i get the VAT and tax back on all my fuel bills.

As a bonus there is a 1 digit difference on my number plates of my Type R and Navara,
I can normally put through the fuel for the Type R by giving the Navara reg number[smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]
Oh thats very NAUGHTY NAUGHTY ;);)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have to say coming from a Mazda RX8(230) to a Type R GT I am really enjoying the extra fuel economy of the R.

Driving the RX8 with a mix of economy and fun driving you where lucky to get 20mpg!​

With the R the same economy and fun driving i am getting about 30mpg!
If you keep the V-TEC light on for long periods your fuel consumption drops to low 20s, (boy what a sound it makes when that light comes on[smilie=cheeky-grin:)[/LEFT]

I do think the RX8 was a bit faster, but my Type R has only done 720miles so it should still free off a bit!​

how the heck do you vtec and get 20mpg????????????????????​

1 - 20 of 205 Posts