2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about other Type R owners out there but the gear stick gaiter in my CTR had begun to wear badly and started to look like this:
01.JPG

Which considering I have looked after the interior of my CTR was getting both annoying and embarrassing. So after a quick search on good old eBay I found a seller topgaiters (I think he has been mentioned on here before). Anyway I placed an order in the morning and within 24hrs a new gaiter arrived. Unfortunately it was the wrong one and was intended for the non Type R gear stick. So I contacted him and credit where credit is due he responded within a couple of hours and a new one was in the post to me which arrived the next day. So I went about fitting it and though I would document the process.

The whole process too me about 45 minutes to an hour to complete without rushing.

You should only need:

• Small Flat Blade Screwdriver
  • 14mm open ended or adjustable spanner
  • fine plastic trim removal tool or something similar
  • Philips No 2 Screwdriver
  • needle nose pliers
  • new (fine) cable tie
  • Upholstery stapler or super glue
First release the plastic collar that holds the gaiter up from the gear knob
02.JPG

Push the gaiter down out of the way and with a 14mm spanner loosen the locking ring under the gear knob by turning it clockwise slightly
03.JPG

You can then unscrew both the gear knob and the locking ring completely by turning them anti-clockwise
04.JPG

Now using either your finger nails or a soft plastic tool leaver up the top of the gear stick surround
05.JPG

and remove it completely
06.JPG

you can now undo the screws at the bottom of the housing you have just removed and pull the old gaiter out, after un-clipping the plastic surround and un-hooking the internal ties that fold the gaiter up. You will then need a pair of fine nose needle pliers to straighten and remove the staples that are holding the gaiter to the support ring. Next turn the gaiter inside out as there is a plastic collar which you will need. To remove this simply push the cable tie off and slide the two parts of the collar apart. You should now have all these bits
07.JPG

and here is the old gaiter next to the new one ready for fitting
08.JPG

First refit the plastic collar that you have just removed by turning the new gaiter inside out and reversing the procedure you did earlier. I then secured the whole thing with a fine cable tie at the original would not fit due the the thickness of the leather. When you fit the collar try to get the plastic clips that you released in the first stage aligned in a section away from any seams as this will make live easier later.
09.JPG

Now re-attach the support ring by re-stapling. I used a heavy duty DIY upholstery stapler and bent the ends over with pliers afterwards. I suspect that you could use super glue for this job though. Now clip everything back into the main housing and put in the 3 screws to hold everything together
11.JPG

Now slide the whole thing over the gear stick and push the main gear stick surround back in place. Push the gaiter and the plastic collar well down and screw on the locking collar all the way down. Now screw on the gear knob until it meets the locking collar but do not tighten it. Now unscrew it slightly until it is aligned correctly, now screw the locking collar up to lock it in place and tighten with a 14mm spanner. You can now slide the plastic collar that supports the gaiter up onto cover the locking ring until it clicks in place, arrange the gaiter as you want, sit back and admire your handy work
12.JPG

The gaiter not only looks a load better than the OEM one and that with wear it will not look anywhere near as shabby, but you can pull the whole thing out to clean it properly as there are no internal ties. The quality really is excellent and you can even ask for different colour stitching. If you do order on I would recommend that you specify Type R or non Type R (TT gaiter I believe it was referred to as) to avoid any delays. However the dealer did handle the issue very professionally.

If you are interested the non Type R gaiter looks like this and I believe that several other forum members have fitted these as well.
13.JPG

By the way I have no involvement with topgaiters what so ever I was just so impressed with the quality and service that I thought I would share the experience. Hope this is of interest and/or help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
and here is the old gaiter next to the new one ready for fitting
View attachment 34807

why is the new gaitor longer than the original......u sure thats not off the EP TYPE R???

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if it was intended for the EP3, it fitted perfectly and even when changing gears there is no feeling of it snagging, rubbing or causing friction anywhere. The excess just folds back on itself and sits quite neatly.

If you compare the photos of the original still fitted with the new one there is little difference in how it all sits, except that it is obvious that the material in the new one is thicker. I suspect that the new one is designed to be slightly longer as there are no internal ties to pull it in so by having it slightly longer means that the leather will bulk out a little when pushed back and keep everything neat and tidy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fantastic post! Gives me the confidence to try it myself now I know how its done.
Mine is looking embarrassingly tired too and needs changing (exactly the same wearing as yours).
Will attempt in the next month with a bit of luck. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wicked that's for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have noticed this happening, is this a common issue?? would there be any chance of this being replaced under warranty?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be surprised if they replaced it under warranty as they would probably say it was reasonable wear and tear. Beside all they would be doing is replacing it with the same poor quality gaiter that will just go start to go tatty again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks for the detailed guide to changing the gaiter.
I have recently purchased a 2007 CTR and was amazed how worn the gaiter is so I intend to change it.
Before I joined I had already looked at topgaiters although at first glance there did not appear to be a +2006 option.
Am I correct in saying that the gaiter you fitted (which looks great) is a leather gaiter that is actually for an Audi TT?
I don’t suppose you have the E-bay to the gaiter you fitted?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I have had a quick look at the Topgaiters e-bay shop and I cant see the photo that I used to select the gaiter I bought originally, but this gaiter looks like the one that I fitted: HONDA CIVIC TYPE R GEAR GAITER LEATHER SHIFT BOOT NEW on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 06:31:27 BST)

If in doubt message him, he was really helpful and responded to my queries fairly promptly.

Just a quick note as well. The gaiter that I fitted still looks as good as the day I fitted it which is now nearly 6 months on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mate,

Very good tutorial. First time i'd done anything like this and was so easy to follow. My new black leather and red stiching gaiter looks the nuts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mate,

Very good tutorial. First time i'd done anything like this and was so easy to follow. My new black leather and red stiching gaiter looks the nuts.

Thanks.
Glad to be of help. The leather version looks so much better than the OEM one. I think it ties in better with the leather steering wheel as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a Type-S but the plastic is scratched down at the bottom and I am not keen on the normal gear stick look anyway.

I assume it's easy enough to replace with a Type-R looking setup? Would like to keep the knob though, just have leather around it instead of the stick just poking out

·
Registered
1 Posts
How great, I'm a female Type R GT owner and today my car was serviced with the "promise" of the new leather cover being fitted (bought from ebay) Picked the car up, still the tatty old gaiter grrr. Weather permitting I'll do it myself tomorrow :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just noticed my 07 has split, first result from a google search, great how to. Added to my want list!

Thanks for the guide. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for such accurate steps for gaiter replacement, helped me change mine very quickly without loss of temper!
Civic type r 02468

·
Vroooom!
245 Posts
just brought a Type R 2 weeks ago and i thought it looked warn down (08 plate) so i rang honda and told them i am driving in tomorrow and you are going to replace it now! and they said ok then! but it def wouldnt be replaced in any other circumstance...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys I replaced mine also for the same reason before a month...
My car was 17 months old -bought it new -so I went to Honda and they replaced it on warranty without any problem ;-).
Of course I d like a better quality ...But at least it looks good

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Can someone explain in a bit more detail how to remove /release the plastic collar that holds the gaiter up? I'm stuck on step one!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, If you push the material back and shine a light down at the top of the gearstick you should see two plastic latch type clips that are holding the gaiter up on the metal locking ring that holds the gear knob on (you will probably find that you can feel them through the material as well). If you get a fine flat bladed screwdriver down between the top of the gaiter and the gear stick you should find that you can then release them fairly easily.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Loxy

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Thanks mate, I'll give it a go now and photograph the results :)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts