2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Top forum, heaps of info.

Does anyone have problems with 4th gear vibrations? Mine is a cw 09 type r. I have spoken to the Honda dealer with no success.

All other gears are ok.

Thanks in advance

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
No can't say I have, possibly an isolated issue matey...

The most common gearbox faults are with third gear not engaging properly. First time I'm hearing about 4th gear, (or any gear, TBH) vibrating though. Are there any other issues related to the vibrating? Is the gear engaging properly? Is it a viscious/noticable vibration? etc. etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's noticable under acelleration, sometimes it's bad other times it's very slight.

I'm not happy.

So I'm guessing your type r does not do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's noticable under acelleration, sometimes it's bad other times it's very slight.

I'm not happy.

So I'm guessing your type r does not do it.
Problems on the FN2 are quite "commonly" found within 3rd gear (in the previous model EP3 it was 2nd gear). The appropriate procedure for this is to replace the synchros, there is an official Honda Service Manual for this one, which replaces 3rd and 4th gear synchro, maybe this solves the problem? However I remain skeptical, whereas the 09 models would already been fitted with these updated synchros. Second, your problem indeed seems an isolated problem, I also never heard of a problem in 4th gear, let alone the vibration issue you describe.

Best regards,
John

·
Registered
353 Posts
Mate the box in my opinion is just weak and not suitable, the phrase

"they dont make them like they used to"

My 4th wont go in high up the rev range so not suprised about vibrations

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I'm in forth gear the gear stick stutters, jerks forward and it's about to pop out from lowish revs, normal range it just vibrates when I touch it. All other gears don't do it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
When I'm in forth gear the gear stick stutters, jerks forward and it's about to pop out from lowish revs, normal range it just vibrates when I touch it. All other gears don't do it.
Same with my 4th! thought it was me imagining things but its only a slight vibration with me-when cold and when your hand is resting on the gear stick. When warm it is fine and all other gears are fine all the time too. dont think you have anything to worry about unless its actually popping out

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 4th gear rumbling as well joe thought it was only me being picky,it seems to be the only gear you can actually feel through the gear lever.I have done 3000miles in it now and seems to have settled down a bit but it's still there.
Had a chat with the dealers about it and they let me take a new demo out and that did it as well so i just put it down to being normal,after hearing other hadn't got it now i will pursue it a bit further and see what they say.

·
Registered
60 Posts
HI Joe,

checked mine today and it seems to do the same thing. It seems to only really be at low speeds if you are in 4th and put your foot down, then it seems to vibrate more. Otherwise, when i am at low speed, you can feel a slight vibration. Didn't really notice much when i was cruising at higher speeds/revs.

Chrisb, did you have any luck with the dealer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't taken it to the dealer, but didn't really pay much attention to it, till I read it on here last night. Will give the dealer i bought it from a shout this evening, and see what he says. I imagine, he will say it is "normal".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im having mine looked at next week to see what they think it could be.
The problem with the 4th gear is so small and dependant on driving style that some owners could miss it.It you drive fast then its not there but just changing through the gear box through town then it is.
I hope they don't dismiss it as i have found it on three cars now after driving the salesman's type r today which he just noticed after i pointed it out to him.
i will let you know the results thursday next week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Chris,

look forward to hearing what the dealer says next week. It definately seems the same issue i have noticed when I am driving. In slow stop start (i.e. m4 into london most days) you can definately notice it, but when the traffic is moving there is no sign of it. had the dealer heard of this issue before?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts