2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Not a bad point really, the Type R is slowest in a straight line and on a track than every other rival. When you weigh up the loss of the rear suspension, lower power to weight than the last car and silly decisions like the drivers seat not returning to position when someone gets in the back it's prob fair to say it's not hondas finest moment. Although the possibilities for modding are second to none, and I would like to see how one of our forums finest fairs against the modern hot hatches :) because proper modded Type R's are the best of the lot :-D

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
The type R isn't the fastest hot hatch we all know that.

But to be beaten by a Polo GTI? I can't believe it, not when the standard non LSD type R was faster on track than the golf gti.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Rubbish, not fun to drive! ermmmm helllo!?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
What a rubbish article... saying that though, the answer to the question, has it been diluted? Yes :(

Honda had the oppurtunity to create one of the finest Type-R's ever with the FN2, if it had:
IRS
FD2 spec engine with 225hp
brembo brakes
a slighly better, less chrashy ride (mugen suspension is proof it can be done),
LSD as standard on all models from the start.

I still love mine and consider it one of the best hot hatches available.

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
I was shocked when i first found out the new civic didnt have IRS! I had it on my EP2 and the handling was immense, BUT even without it the 8th gen Civic is still an awesome handling car! after i lowered mine there really was hardly anything in it between both models.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The type R isn't the fastest hot hatch we all know that.

But to be beaten by a Polo GTI? I can't believe it, not when the standard non LSD type R was faster on track than the golf gti.
Well, assuming that is the new GTi I can completely believe it because that things got about 90% of the power of a standard Golf GTi. Thats a lot of power for such a small car and to add to that, its got gobs of torque thanks to its twin-supercharging set up (yes I know one super charger, one turbo, but usually any form of forced induction is known as supercharging) and a quick witted (for track use anyway) DSG gearbox.

For me one of the reasons why the Type R could keep good pace in straight line acceleration was because while everyone else was changing gears, you still had 2000rpm left to go on the tacho. But with the DSG the gear change time is minimal and it plants you instantly back into the power band.

Quite suprised by the DS3 though, Its down on power, has similar torque and while its got an amazingly supple chassis, I would of thought the stiffer Type R would of made mincemeat of it in the corners.

interesting to see the Focus RS beaten by the others... its surely the most powerful car there but I guess 300bhp is just too much for the front wheels to handle ontop of steering even with a diff and fancy suspension geometry.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I do have to agree with a few points but cant believe in that test it got done over by a polo and a DS3, honda did have the opertunity to make it that bit more special, saying that i still love my FN2 to bits...

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Well, assuming that is the new GTi I can completely believe it because that things got about 90% of the power of a standard Golf GTi. Thats a lot of power for such a small car and to add to that, its got gobs of torque thanks to its twin-supercharging set up (yes I know one super charger, one turbo, but usually any form of forced induction is known as supercharging) and a quick witted (for track use anyway) DSG gearbox.
I agree

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
With an LSD, the type-r would easily have been at the top of the times reported. LSD really transforms the car on track.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Who cares? people buy a Type R because that's what they want and it ticks all the boxes for them, sure Honda could have made it quicker and handle better but then it would also cost more so at the end of the day Honda aimed the car at a certain market and judging by the numbers they made then it was a huge success.

For example back in the late 80s the hot hatch to have was a Golf GTi, XR3i and Astra GTE but fast forward 20 years and tell me how many Focus RS/ST, Golf GTi and Astra VXRs you see compared to a Civic Type R and yet all the others are more powerful ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see a lot more Focii than Type R's but then that makes the sighting a little more unique. Regular Ford Focus is ten a penny and round here the ST isnt that far behind. That said, I would kill for an electric orange one. That colour really rocks in the summer sun.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Pile of pooh.... I was on my private race track which runs from my office to my home and a Scooby STI was infront of me, all within the limits of the law (even though I was on my private track) he couldnt get away from me on the bends and even had to brake where I didnt. People moan about the FN2, but its got to be one of the best handling FWD cars you can buy.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
8.2 secs sounds a long way from the 6.5 secs quoted by everyone else.

I reckon my Type S could manage that!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
but its got to be one of the best handling FWD cars you can buy.
I agree. Even on the Type S I can go in flatter and closer to the kerb than practically any other car I've come across. If I'm legally following someone within the speed limit (not racing as I'm at a safe distance and not trying to overtake), I often take corners off islands that push them out to or even across the white line whilst I can come round within 6 inches of the kerb with no slip. As the Type R is reportedly even better I can only imagine the difference,

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
What a rubbish article... saying that though, the answer to the question, has it been diluted? Yes :(

Honda had the oppurtunity to create one of the finest Type-R's ever with the FN2, if it had:
IRS
FD2 spec engine with 225hp
brembo brakes
a slighly better, less chrashy ride (mugen suspension is proof it can be done),
LSD as standard on all models from the start.

I still love mine and consider it one of the best hot hatches available.
Hence why i just cant let mine go lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts