2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has now reached 143k

About 90k has been motorway miles over past 3 years and I think there is something up

Seems to like the oily stuff, topped up about 3 days ago, done 300 miles and it's now 3/4 so had to top up another 300ml

Using about 600ml a week on average which is costing and worrying

Any experts around Yorkshire
Any signs as I can't see smoke
Likely causes and costs to fix?

Mpg is good, average 33 mpg on motorway steady but the counter is showing 37 on a drive between Leeds > Manchester roughly 45 miles so drives pretty well

Is it worth fixing as the car won't be worth much to anyone now

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Check your pcv valve.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
I've changed mine a few months ago. Had a turbo cooper s and found that someone had done a pcv delete on it. It drank oil, about a litre every 500 miles.

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
Check your pcv valve.
doubt a pcv would cause high oil use, its only fitted to take gases cased by blow by from the crank case. could be worn rings causing blow by and sending more oil vapors through the pcv to be burnt off.

it reality though you probably wont solve your issues unless you take it to a mechanic so they can have a look, guess work will get you nowhere.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
IF I drive my car in 'ay-oh' mode over 5k mine burns like 200ml on 500km.

In my opinion I alway say: 'I want you to be one of the oil rings and do the job till 8k!'

You have to use the cars history, the drive style and the type of oil to determine if it's a normal usage of oil.

And its not a trashy idea to ask if (he) you may have clogged oil rings.

Just my ideas and open to discuss right away

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the spark plugs?
Or a picture from the piston heads?

Maybe a manifold (intake and exhaust) 'inside view' of leaking valve stem seals?

Is any burning oil visible: at idle (stop light maybe), on accelerating or gear in and engine brake?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't see any signs

I do oil changes roughly every 12k miles but it's not had the full service for a couple years.

Not mechanically minded so don't know who to take
Manifolds off.

How much would stem seals or piston rings cost to replace?

Also would valve clearances have anything on this?

maybe time for a newer car as its not really geared for motorways

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for linking back my other posts
Went to my local garage who said they will do a consumption test.... Also checked my spark plugs and he said they are fine

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,056 Posts
Thing is mate, it's been ongoing for you for years now. I think it could just be one of those things. It could be that the oil control rings on the pistons in your motor have more clearance than another CTR engine.

One other thing to bear in mind is that compression rings are different to oil control rings. You can have good compression and still have oil usage. I have had first hand experience of this on an Integra Type R engine. The oil control rings should have been staggered when infact they weren't and it made the engine smoke at high revs.

Unless your car is swirling blue smoke out of the exhaust, don't worry about it and keep topping up the oil. It will not blow up. The cost of topping up the oil is way cheaper than pulling the engine apart for diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you come over to hull and fix it for me then lol

you sound like a generous knowledgeable mechanic

not sure though when its like £35/4litres and I can go through that in a couple months!

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,056 Posts
Mechanics is more of a hobby for me but it relates to the kind of work I do every day. To fix your motor properly, and it might not fully solve it, it requires a full strip down, measure up engine clearances, then go from there. Honda run VERY tight clearances. Stripping it and rebuilding it PROPERLY will result in a very big bill.

Honestly mate, keep topping up the oil. Some Honda's use a lot of oil, other Honda's don't.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I bought the car last year in September. First oil replacement was done with Honda 5w40 and I was surprised that it consumed about 1L at 2000 km (I completed every time the yellow warning came on). In the manual it is mentioned that the oil consumption could be 1L/1000 km (and this is said also about the 5D). After 6 months I replaced the oil and used Millers 5w40. The consumption was almost the same, just that this time I was on track once. This October I replaced the oil again and put Millers 5w40 as well and till now (about 2k km) the yellow warning didn't come on and I went on track once, plus that I'm driving very often in the range of 5k-7k rpm. You cannot drive this car under 4k :). I guess a consumption of 1L each 1k km, like in the manual, it is still normal.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
Please for the love of god don't drive until the oil light comes, you'll be doing so much damage if it's that low or at least be unlucky one day and not catch it in time before it dies :(

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
No, I won't. I'm talking about the orange warning, not the red one. When it came on for the first time, I stopped the car, checked the dipstick (the oil was above the minimum) and filled about 250 ml. I'm aware that it will destroy the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts