2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My type-r has developed a hideous screeching emitting from the rear left of the car.

It doesnt happen untill about 5 miles into the journey.

Im not sure if it break related or not.

If you bounce the rear of the car up and down while parked you hear a faint sound which would appear to be a lesser version of the noise

·
Registered
712 Posts
Have you checked how much friction material is left on the BRAKE pads on that wheel??

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
It looks as though there is a good bit left. Its a metallic screeching so maybe a stone is the problem ...will nip out and look
Even if the outer pads look OK , sometimes the inside ones may be worn out. Worth checking.

It should be obvious if its the brakes as it would be louder when you press the brake pedal !

·
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝ
97 Posts
The pads have a metal attachment on them that rubs against the disc when they get worn enough and it makes a hell of a racket. It could be this.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
An audiable warning occurs when you need new pads, this is caused by the metal on metal contact and does make quite a racket as suggested, although I dont think you have had your type-r long have you James? You couldn't have done a set already lol!

My bet is a stone in the brakes, or could be the boot isn't shut properly? or passenger window slightly open?

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
My thinking is it's a stone. You'll possibly have to strip the brakes on that wheel as it might be embedded in the pad, and once the disc gets warm and expands, be rubbing against it.

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, I will take it to the dealers tomorrow, I dont understand why it only occurs after about 5 miles into the journey.

I have done 35,500 so maybe it is the pads,,,,,but having said that there is no audible warning.

The tone does tend to change when i press the brakes

Thanks again

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I will take it to the dealers tomorrow, I dont understand why it only occurs after about 5 miles into the journey.
The discs will take a while to warm up and expand, so possibly that's why it's after you have been driving for a while.

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It turned out that it needed new rear brake pads (down to metal). Drove the 10 miles to the dealer with no noise, when the mechanic took it out it was making a hell of a racket.

Seemingly there isnt a warning light to let you know when your brakes are worn.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
My bet would have been a traffic warden stuck under the wheel........ or ala Homer Simpson, a clamp ;-)

Glad it's fixed, although you must be going some on those brakes ;-) WELL DONE :)

Tom

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
That's right, no warning other than the noise itself from the metal on metal contact which is designed to tell you that you need new ones.

I hope you are not letting the dealer sort your pad's out. Daylight Robbery!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
It turned out that it needed new rear brake pads (down to metal). Drove the 10 miles to the dealer with no noise, when the mechanic took it out it was making a hell of a racket.

Seemingly there isnt a warning light to let you know when your brakes are worn.
I hope they charged you no more than £85. It's an item on the Honda Happiness Fixed Price Repair menu. :D

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-dealers-servicing/10210-honda-hapiness-fixed-price-repairs.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts