2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
**Generating Gloss**
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<3 <3 Big thanks to Neo for the Skunk2 & to Ed for offering to be my knight in a shining CTR to help fit everything <3 <3

I’ve read so many threads on how to change the gear knob and gaiter, and I hate to say this but when it came to actually doing it, I found it much much harder! Think it took me 90 mins all in all, because I didn't really know what I was doing.

Compared to the C2 where everything was just simple. Mind you, it wasn’t made of much... And really, I do love a challenge.

Even the design of the OEM gaiter and how it’s attached to the plastic base was way too advanced for my liking!!!

But anyway, it’s all on now and I’m looking forward to when I next take the car out for a spin. It needs a good clean first!

Erm, and big apologies to my bruv who kept me company and helped me to take everything apart. I accidentally stabbed him in the hand with my flat blade screwdriver.

At least the interior looks pretty now :D

(He’ll heal!)​

These links were a big help:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/styling/39034-type-r-gear-stick-gaiter-upgrade.html

HONDA CIVIC TYPE R 06+ GAITER SHIFT BOOT RED ST on eBay (end time 08-Dec-10 09:13:35 GMT)

Here are a few pics that I took as I went along (apologies about the size):

1) Pull gaiter down - I used a flat blade screw driver to help do this, but be careful not to break any of the plastic teeth that grip the gaiter tightly onto the locking nut area... :( (you can see the silver locking nut is revealed when having done so)

2) Unscrew knob and locking nut - 14mm spanner needed as mentioned before in other threads. Use it to turn the locking nut clockwise first and then the gear knob will unscrew with ease. Also unscrew the locking nut too

3) Remove the base - I used a small plastic tool to prise the base off

4) Remove OEM gaiter from the base - I used needle nose pliers to gently ease the staples out, ready to re use them again on the leather one

5) Remove plastic parts from neck of OEM gaiter - Turn the gaiter inside out, cut the cable tie and then pull away the components

The new gaiter and Skunk2 - ready for fitting

6) Fit plastic parts back onto neck of leather gaiter (turned inside out), cable tie, then (turn it back to normal again) attach to base - I used a sharp tool to prick a hole in the leather tabs and then re used the old staples, using pliers to secure it onto the plastic base. Here is the finished result (a lot of patience required for this)

7) The fun bit - Fit gaiter on base back onto car, then screw new knob on. I decided not to use the new locking nut that came with the Skunk

8) Enjoy!

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
That knob looks huge in your hand.....:p

Good work LVY - what's next

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
That knob looks huge in your hand.....:p

Good work LVY - what's next
Someone beat me to the innuendo, lol. I must be slipping.

Looks good, I'll be getting a gaiter + new knob soon myself, not keen on the hip replacement look that I've currently got.

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Bout time it got fitted :D nice little write up too :O
Well done lvs ^_^

·
**Generating Gloss**
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

lol @ hip replacement, that made me chuckle.

I was worried about chipping my nail polish but it survived! The gaitor I have no use for. You can see in the pics that a bit of the white fabric from underneath is starting to show through, and this is the reason why I decided to change it.

I'm keeping hold of the knob for the moment (not literally)

:)

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
rofl xD

Now you are pimpin! ^__^

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts

lol @ hip replacement, that made me chuckle.

I was worried about chipping my nail polish but it survived! The gaitor I have no use for. You can see in the pics that a bit of the white fabric from underneath is starting to show through, and this is the reason why I decided to change it.

I'm keeping hold of the knob for the moment (not literally)

:)
Seriously looks like someone pulled a terminator to bits and then used him to build my gearstick, lol. Seen a gaitor on ebay with green stitching that'll go nicely with the green LEDs I've got fitted, so that'll be my next mod I think.

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Just waiting for my footwell lights to turn up from Hong Kong now, two weeks and counting >.<

Probably get the calipers painted before they turn up. How does the skunk2 feel different with the gear changes? Been looking at different knobs and don't really see a massive difference between most.

·
**Generating Gloss**
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My calipers need sorting too. Maybe after winter full of salt grit has passed.
The Skunk is so so so much heavier than the typeR OEM one. That's why there is the effect of a difference in gear change. Just a bit of a smoother gear change. That's what I think anyway :)

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I see, interesting. Might have to have a look at a few first hand then.

I'm doing my calipers soon as they're still relatively clean. I did the ones on my accord and they were pretty rusted on the surface, took a lot of work to clean them off enough for them to take a few coats of paint. If I leave it til after the winter there'll be even more crud on them :(

·
**Generating Gloss**
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok fine, if you insist, you can come and do my callipers at the same time then *sigh*
:D

I'm glad I changed it. Didn't need changing as such as the OEM was still mint. Prefer it as it is now and wish I had done it sooner.

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Great work. the Skunk2 looks great ;-)

Enjoy ;-)

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
Ok fine, if you insist, you can come and do my callipers at the same time then *sigh*
:D

I'm glad I changed it. Didn't need changing as such as the OEM was still mint. Prefer it as it is now and wish I had done it sooner.
Haha, at the speed I work, it's a full days job :p

1 - 20 of 58 Posts