2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am looking at getting a type r over the next few months. I was wondering what it would be like on the motorways and what mpg i can expect.

Thanks

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Well on a 140 round trip on the motorway ,doing 75ish i got 37mpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
It isnt that frugal on the motorway. Have to admit first time I took it on the motorway I constantly thought I hadnt found 6th because I thought it was rev'ing really high for its speed (its my first performance car). If you stay close to 70 the consumption is good, otherwise it will drop to the low 30's.

Feels good on it though!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I think the 'R' cruises very nicely on the motoerway for a hot hatch. You just have to accept that it will be at high revs - but its not too noisy!

Love the fact that my car still feels lively even in 6th. I always feel like i'm holding her back a little when all she wants to do is just go.

Don't go on motorways enough to worry about fuel consumption. If its an issue don't get a Type R its not exactly economical ;)
So much fun has to come at a price!! [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
On 6500 miles my average is 28.6mpg

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I see that you are currently driving a 2.2 so be prepared for the MPG to be significantly less on the CTR. I have seen some impressive figures on here from other 2.2 owners. The most I have ever got is 44mpg and that was sticking to 50mph. About 30 to 35 mpg is what would be expected while sticking to good old 70mph.

Only issue is it sounds so good and as R-2 says it feels like it just wants to keep going so you have to be restrained otherwise you just give in and put the foot down ;)

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Does the Type R pull hard in 6th at aprox 70 mph when wanting to nip past another vehicle on the motorway or would a change down be needed?

The 2.2 excels in that situation,while the petrol Type S (previous gen.) and even the diesel 147 Alfa I've owned, in the same senario were really a little slow responding (increase cruising speed where legal to 80 and the throttle response was much better with both those cars)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does the Type R pull hard in 6th at aprox 70 mph when wanting to nip past another vehicle on the motorway or would a change down be needed?

The 2.2 excels in that situation,while the petrol Type S (previous gen.) and even the diesel 147 Alfa I've owned, in the same senario were really a little slow responding (increase cruising speed where legal to 80 and the throttle response was much better with both those cars)
just sit at 75 in 6th, when you want to blip past drop it to 4th and I dare you to stop grinning, trouble is your hitting 100+ in no time if you cant control yourself :)

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with the type-r on the motorway.....although the revs are highish at 80-90mph its not that intrusive or noticeable.

The mpg was pretty good as well

·
Registered
299 Posts
best i have had is 36 from wakefield to reading abd back not going over 77. average day to day with work doing about 150 miles from wakefield to hull and back i get 28 -29 but that includes town driving in hull. average from ownership is just under 28

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best I had was 33 mpg on a motorway run, round about 80 ish.

However, I've got to laugh at some of you try to squeeze every last mpg out of a CTR.

The real issue should be: How low can you go? ;)

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I basically think the answer to what mpg you can expect is......who knows! It will all depend on how you are driving. I have been getting 22.1 mpg while others get 27-30ish. It all depends on your driving style, but if I were you i'd be prepared for a shock in comparison to now.....but thats not just in the CTR, any of the hot hatches you've decided to look at will all have different mpg dependent on your driving style

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drove from London to Carlisle and it took about * hours, i was doing about * mph all the way and i was doing about 30 mpg, when i got out it felt like i have driven around the corner

** EDIT BY FWH - Please do not mention illegal speeds on this site **

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I drove about 100 odd miles after getting fuel today whilst on my way to the Civic meet up here. Went up the M9 and was following (and passing some of the time) BucketP. We were doing a good speed and I managed to get about 31mpg for the whole trip which for me was rather good. Not sure if the fact i'm now using V Power has something to do with it?

I did Vtec it on more than 1 occasion, actually so many times I lost count but a 07 Golf GTi did let me onto the M9 on the way back and I left him for dead. I occasionally caught a glimps of him in the rearview but not for long. Found it great on the motorway (well up here anyway) been on one down south in a CTR and felt like I'd been bouncing around the place!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well on a 140 round trip on the motorway ,doing 75ish i got 37mpg
I had a long motorway trip yesterday and made good use of the cruise control @ 37.5mpg over a 200 mile journey. Speed was what you would normally do in the middle and outer lanes;). The CC is a big help with the economy and also to help avoid temptation when bored.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I had a long motorway trip yesterday and made good use of the cruise control @ 37.5mpg over a 200 mile journey. Speed was what you would normally do in the middle and outer lanes;). The CC is a big help with the economy and also to help avoid temptation when bored.
I was thinking that would be the kinda adverage on my trip down south and totally agree that sticking the CC on stops you wanting to put the foot to the floor like I usually do ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts