2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Type R panned on top gear tonight and who can argue, jeremy didnt seem to actively bias against it, it understeers, is slow etc....

im a honda fan but why did they do this , how embarassing to be beat by a car 8 yrs older . the new civic just looks nicer

Woudl like to hear how anyone can defend this and this all went out on a prime tv show.......watched by millions

Edit TTDegs - thread title corrected :wink: :)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Whats a JV:confused:

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Hmmm, let me see. The old one was driving by little picks! It was the Impreza of the hot hatch world before....now its not so probably cause it costs more than the old one.

They also failed to mention that the new one beat the old one round the new track! So do you think it was just JC's driving? Me thinks so!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
true i agree the new one beat the old on the track but in reality who can argue with JC s comments, he didnt deliberately follow the old car, it was beaten off the line. Honda s type R clearly handles poorer and is slower..

this is not a dig at type R owners but Honda messed up

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Three seconds faster than the old won [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not sure either way the new type R has not made that generation jump, honda cut costs and did it their way

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
As I have just posted in another thread, I think he is just a prat and is just climbing the ladder as a would be comic /talk host.
Given the chance IMO, he would like to take over from Parkinson and not show the slightest interest in cars. Him, -- take over from Parki', No chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last car he gave a review like that too was the Vaxuhall Vectra and look what happened to that!

Even though no one drives the way he drives on public roads and all of

My type s is being delivered thursday and he has curbed all my enthusiasm. Only as all the Golf owning dimwits at work will surly mention the review every time we discuss cars!

Grrrrrrrr!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Type R panned on top gear tonight and who can argue, jeremy didnt seem to actively bias against it, it understeers, is slow etc....

im a honda fan but why did they do this , how embarassing to be beat by a car 8 yrs older . the new civic just looks nicer

Woudl like to hear how anyone can defend this and this all went out on a prime tv show.......watched by millions

interesting, he slates it in The Times back in May
Jeremy Clarkson Honda Civic Type R review | Driving - Times Online

But on Topgear.com it gets:
Civic Type R
5 star rating

It's a hackneyed turn of phrase, calling a powertrain addictive, but if it ever warranted a renaissance it would be to describe the Civic R's two-litre VTEC unit and six-speed 'box. You're compelled to exploit the smooth surge of power as the revs build.

Top Gear | Honda Civic New Car Review

Scroll down to the bottom of the page

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've come to see Top Gear as not so much information, but more entertainment. When the CTR was released in march they had a hot hatch top 20 on the website and the CTR came out on top. What we saw todat was Jeremy's own opinion, which we all know is biased for sure. He pratically owns the program, but I bet not everyone in the programs team agrees. So after they put it in the 1st spot in march it looks like it was time to bash it.

I have to merit them on also being fair though. They did point out a few of the car's poorest points and I have to agree on some.
The rear-suspension has to go. Please Honda, make it 2000 pounds more expensive, forget the boot space and give us back independent wishbones. Do the same thing for the 5-door version, so you won't have to build 2 different versions. At least do this for the 9th generation you're designing right now.

The seat memory has been a Honda bug for years. Been driving Honda's for years and I get used to it. And I never get in the back anyway so I don't give a rats ass. But he is right. How hard can it be to fit that memory. The automatich windscreen wiper seems much more complicated and it has one of those.

But I have to disagree on the the rear-spoiler. When you get in you think it's a problem. But anyone who uses it daily knows it no problem whatsoever. It's even a benefit when you have someone behind you in heavy traffic. It blockes out the headlights for free.

The key warning is a typical "Jeremy want's to come across funny" thing. Just take out the key before you open the door, which is what the warning is for in the 1ste place. Usesless idiot.

As for the track time. In the end, it doesn't matter if a car is 1 or 2 seconds slower of faster then any other car. The results were close enough. And be honest, where can you drive your car at such limits that those 1 or 2 seconds would matter. Right, nowhere.

It matters if you like it. The bloke in the audience was right. The new one looks much better and has more gadgets.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The new Type R done the track in 1:33.5
Check out how this compares on the Top Gear board
BBC - Top Gear - Power Laps

The Type R on the board at 1:36.5 is obviously the old won[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
1.5 Sport Plus CVT
354 Posts
so why was the old type-r's time not spoken about on the show

surely it would have been logical to say...well heres the old type-r's time lets see what the new one can do....but no

What does it matter anyway...the new style civics are the best looking cars on the road and make everything else look like they are from the 70's

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've read and watched lots or reviews of this car and it is number 1 in the Hot Hatch standings with most sources ; Auto Express 5th Gear etc.

It has been engineered to be easier to live with, so a little softer, but in real world use that's what counts. How many get thrashed round tracks, most get polished and cherished.

I have read most of clarksons books, bought his dvds and haven't missed a top gear episode for over ten years but I think he's wrong here, way off the mark, the new type R is an improvement, especially in the looks department the old one looks like a brad van.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How much discount do you think we could get on a large amount of bumper stickers ?

"Jeremy Clarkson hates this car, but he's a ****** so......."
or
"If you can read this Clarkson, you need to speed up....."
or
"Hey, Clarkson, has your Ford GT broken down again ?"

1 - 20 of 165 Posts